Grinder recommendation for small office

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
MacchiatoDan

Postby MacchiatoDan » May 14, 2019, 1:53 pm

Hi there, recently purchased an Isomac Alba HX machine and have fixed it up. the plan is to set it up here at my office where probably 4-8 people will be using it throughout the day...my guess is somewhere around 15 drinks a day, maybe 20 on some days. it will most likely be used for regular and decaf espresso.

that said, myself and one other person are familiar with making espresso, the others are not. the plan is for me to dial in the grind for the espresso so that whoever is making it can just hit a button and get the correct amount of coffee, put in the portafilter and tamp it. i know the regular vs decaf will be different grinds...my hope (and maybe not likely) is to have the same grind setting and tell people the dosing for each so no changes are needed. i.e. 18g for regular, 19g for decaf.

for ease of use i think looking for either a weight based grinder or a single dose one with a separate scale?

i have had a vario-w in the past in my old office and it was a bit finicky to get the scale zero'd out and always working the same ( i never had an issue).

thoughts on recommendations for this? thinking up to $750-ish range

njtnjt

Postby njtnjt » May 14, 2019, 2:36 pm

Maybe a Niche grinder.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

LMWDP #414 njtnjt

MacchiatoDan

Postby MacchiatoDan » replying to njtnjt » May 14, 2019, 2:43 pm

definitely been looking at that, is there is any risk in ordering one? on the website it has language that says you are donating but not guaranteed a perk/product. that seemed odd. seems like a good machine. anything else?

jchung

Postby jchung » replying to MacchiatoDan » May 14, 2019, 5:00 pm

Its just because it started as an indiegogo project. No worries about it. Lots of people have ordered and received their Niche Zero, including myself.

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » May 14, 2019, 5:15 pm

that said, myself and one other person are familiar with making espresso, the others are not. the plan is for me to dial in the grind for the espresso so that whoever is making it can just hit a button and get the correct amount of coffee, put in the portafilter and tamp it.

I have a Niche Zero and a Breville Smart Grinder Pro.
If I had to buy a grinder for the office I would buy the Breville.
Super easy to use, reliable time dosing and very clean.
I don't think that in my office single dosing would be a good solution, on the contrary.
If using two different blend is a must I would buy two of them :). The red model would be perfect for decaf :lol:
But that is my office.
four minutes to make an espresso? really?

jgood

Postby jgood » May 14, 2019, 5:53 pm

Vario also has a time based grinder. When I've weighed the doses they are pretty consistent. For simplicity in the office environment I would pitch 2 of these -- one for regular and one for decaf. There are multiple buttons to preset different grind times but you still have to deal with the beans in the hopper or single dose if you want to avoid two grinders. Who drinks decaf anyway? -- let them use a Mr. Coffee!

Nick Name

Postby Nick Name » May 14, 2019, 5:58 pm

If you're planning on grinding the beans beforehand (which I don't suggest) so that inexperienced persons wouldn't have to grind, I think a single doser (like Niche Zero f.ex.) is not an option.

How about some used commercial grinder with a manual doser? Maybe Compak K10, or Mazzer Super Jolly/Kony, Quamar M80 or even Anfim Supercaimano. There are many options.

That way you could grind into the doser and when someone wants to have an espresso, all they have to do is a little clackety-clack to fill the portafilter.

You could also get an on-demand grinder like Quamar M80E for just one example. You can set the timer to grind the amount you want. But someone has to take care that the hopper is at least half full, otherwise timed grinding is not consistent.

BUT if it is a possible scenario that people measure their beans with a scale and grind their own coffee, then Niche Zero would be great. You might even get away with one grinder since it indeed has practically zero retention. Personally I'd go with the NZ, zero doubt about it.

MacchiatoDan

Postby MacchiatoDan » May 15, 2019, 9:25 am

since decaf is needed, sounds like two grinders would be the way to go?

i like the idea of the regular vario with the portafilter attachment, they are $300 refurb thru baratza, could get 2 of them. i can control the grind size and program the buttons for the appropriate run time and i think that would be a pretty easy workflow for everyone. i have two portafilters already too, so i can setup for single/doubles

what would be the preference between the vario and sette 270 for epsresso only? they are both the same price it looks like. reason i would lean to the vario for an office is i hear the Sette 270 is quite loud. the vario i thought was not bad for noise, which is important in our office

MacchiatoDan

Postby MacchiatoDan » May 17, 2019, 9:33 am

anyone have used both the vario and sette 270 and care to comment on the difference in noise levels?

jchung

Postby jchung » replying to MacchiatoDan » May 17, 2019, 10:16 am

My friend who has a Sette 270 said its very noisy. The NZ is known to be quite quiet. I feel comfortable grinding in the morning while my wife and daughter are sleeping. But... the Sette 270 grinds quite a bit faster than the NZ. So louder noise for a shorter time or quieter noise for a longer time.