Grinder recommendation for home La Marzocco FB80

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Cartierusm

#1: Post by Cartierusm » Nov 08, 2019, 5:34 pm

Hi, new to the forum and espresso, well espresso on a higher level. I've got a 3 Group La Marzocco FB80 at home that I just finished reconditioning. I want to get the best tasting shot I can. I don't mind spending the money for a good grinder if it makes that much difference, but if there's something in the under $1000 range I'd prefer that. I had a La Marzocco Swift Dual Hopper Auto Tamper, but sold it as I'm going to be doing single dosing.

Oh, I'll only be making Espresso a few times a week if that makes any difference.

LObin

#2: Post by LObin » Nov 08, 2019, 7:12 pm

Cartierusm wrote:Hi, new to the forum and espresso, well espresso on a higher level. I've got a 3 Group La Marzocco FB80 at home that I just finished reconditioning. I want to get the best tasting shot I can. I don't mind spending the money for a good grinder if it makes that much difference, but if there's something in the under $1000 range I'd prefer that. I had a La Marzocco Swift Dual Hopper Auto Tamper, but sold it as I'm going to be doing single dosing.

Oh, I'll only be making Espresso a few times a week if that makes any difference.
This is ironic.

LObin

#3: Post by LObin » Nov 08, 2019, 7:20 pm

<$1000 Niche Zero is the reference for single dosing.

>$1500 you can't go wrong with a Monolith. Used or new.

Generally speaking, flat burrs perform better for light roasts. Medium-light all the way to dark coffee, flat or conical will do. Generally speaking.

Cartierusm

#4: Post by Cartierusm » Nov 09, 2019, 12:51 am

@Lobin, I feel you. Too many other beverages that need consuming though. Gotta give them all equal rights...like the 14th amendment.

@Lobin, part deux, are you talking https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/monolith/ cause the cheapest one they have is $2000. I do like the Niche. I've been doing the research, but looks like it'll be a month before I can get one.

Besides https://www.slowpoursupply.co/niche-zero does anyone in the US sell them and have them in stock?

What would be your third choice, Sir? Maybe in the $500-$1200 range? Thanks.

P.S. Any place to look for used grinders besides craigslist, facebook market-crap, or ebay?

Cartierusm

#5: Post by Cartierusm » Nov 09, 2019, 1:43 am

P.P.S. I've read good things on here about the Sette 270WI.

LObin

#6: Post by LObin » Nov 09, 2019, 11:44 am

Postmortem of a pre-mortem Baratza Sette's motor assembly.
Personally, I would stay away from the Sette.

If waiting for a NZ is not an option, maybe look at the Eureka Atom line. They have quite a low retention. The Atom 75 would be my choice but nothing wrong with the 65 neither. If you align the burrs properly and go for the blow up hopper, it'd make a good single dosing grinder.

The HB buy/sell forum is a good place to find quality gear.

* I'm curious about how you're going to make it worth having a 3 group FB80 in your home for a few espresso weekly... warmup time must be something like 2hrs. Electrical needs and costs are up the roof. Most coffee shop run these 24/7. I even see more 2 groups vs 3 groups commercial machines in high end coffee shops....
Have you thought about putting it for sale and getting a high end prosumer machine with the money? You could probably get a linea mini or a quality double boiler and even get yourself a Monolith for it...

LObin

#7: Post by LObin » Nov 09, 2019, 7:15 pm

There's a NZ for sale on the BST just now. In San Diego.

[FS] Niche Zero

Cartierusm

#8: Post by Cartierusm » Nov 10, 2019, 3:00 am

The link for the Niche didn't work. What was it supposed to be?

BTW, thanks for the help. I signed up for notification when Niche was going to be back in stock in the US and I got that email tonight and ordered one. So hopefully it'll get here quick; they say by Dec. 1.

As for the FB80 I like the size it's not just an espresso machine but a piece of art. As for the electrical and plumbing I've done that type of work my whole life. Only took me a couple hours to run water and electrical. I already had a 240V 30A outlet in my kitchen. Warm up time is only like 15-20 minutes.

P.S. I've attached some pics of the FB80 and the table I made for it. I'm a metal worker, not by trade anymore, but I still have my machine shop.

truemagellen

#9: Post by truemagellen » Nov 10, 2019, 4:05 am

If you run that machine 3 times a week for several hours you will be able to pay for a $2000 grinder in electricity worth in no time, ask me how I know :mrgreen:

LObin

#10: Post by LObin » Nov 10, 2019, 11:38 am

Amazing job on the table! Really beautiful!

Have you downloaded the manual for the FB80? I believe I read a 50a outlet is required for a 3 group.

Warmup time includes full pressurization of the boilers and temperature equilibrium of the brew boiler, groups and portafilter. This usually takes a while. Maybe less with saturated group but not 20 mins.

The link was for a black Niche Zero on the HB buy/sell forum. Not needed anymore so congratulations on your purchase. It's a neat little grinder! About 1/5th of the size of your LM grinder that I can see in the background of one of the pictures you posted... :shock:

If you have a significant other, you need to start a new topic and share with all of us how you pull this off!
Not even sure I'd be allowed to have this kind of equipment in my garage!! :lol:

Good news is when the FB80 is gone after a few electricity bills have landed you can still purchase a GS3 or a Linea mini to go with that beautiful coffee table!
I'm joking here... kinda. ;)

Cheers!