Grinder recommendation? Budget $600 and under.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Mbb

#1: Post by Mbb »

Need an electric grinder for my son.
He's been using a good hand grinder I gave him to make espresso, it is time consuming for him make 2.... One for girlfriend also.

It would be nice if it could do grind range for pourover also....

Im willling to go $600 or so.

What are the favorites in that range today? Best performing and reliable and least problems? Quiet wouldn't hurt either, but it's not as important as reliable.

...... Performance counts more than bells and whistles. Quality over b.s. not holding settings, breaking, motors burning out ... . All very undesirable things imo

I guess I'm looking for maybe several good recommendations I could then run down. Seems like a lot of things have drawbacks....

macal425

#2: Post by macal425 »

Assuming that you are in the US, based on your $ budget, you may want to consider the Niche Zero. Due to the exchange rate right now between the $ and the British Pound, you should be able to get it close to your desired budget. I have been very happy with mine for purely espresso, however, others have noted that it is also good for pourovers. At around $600, it's a great bargain since it was around $150.00 more not too long ago. If it's something you're interested in, there's a long thread discussing it, along with other threads, if you want to do a search.

Niche Zero grinder

Pressino

#3: Post by Pressino »

To definitely keep it under the $600 mark, the Baratza Sette 270 models would work nicely. Not as durable as the Niche, but they come with an outstanding warranty.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#4: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

macal425 wrote:Assuming that you are in the US, based on your $ budget, you may want to consider the Niche Zero. Due to the exchange rate right now between the $ and the British Pound, you should be able to get it close to your desired budget. I have been very happy with mine for purely espresso, however, others have noted that it is also good for pourovers. At around $600, it's a great bargain since it was around $150.00 more not too long ago. If it's something you're interested in, there's a long thread discussing it, along with other threads, if you want to do a search.

Niche Zero grinder
Love my Niche for espresso, however, I don't think the Niche is good for pour-overs; it is pretty muddy. Something like a k-max is a lot better for pour-overs.

GLT
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by GLT »

New Ode with new burrs for all brew methods. Not espresso. $345 before 10% off for new customer. 15% off each for each referral, if you are already a customer in their system you can refer to your kids. Good luck!

Mbb (original poster)

#6: Post by Mbb (original poster) »

What about df 64 with ssp burrs?
I understand there's a bunch of 3D printed accessories you can get for but you can actually buy them from Etsy. No need to print yourself.

I don't want something that's too fiddly for him though cuz he doesn't have time for that. Something easier to use out of the box might be superior to something that's fiddly even if it isn't as good.

The niche seems ok, until I read that people burn the motor out on light Roast.... Did it get past that?

I've read numerous posts about people switching between pour over and espresso who end up getting two grinders because getting the espresso grind dialed back in isn't as simple as returning it to the original setting. He can always use the hand grinder for pour over because that really only takes about 50 seconds to grind for a large cup.... Espresso by hand takes several minutes and makes you tired too

Mbb (original poster)

#7: Post by Mbb (original poster) »

In the end I ordered the niche zero for him.
I think the df64 is definitely a better grinder but it is a bit fiddly and has its quirks.

Overall it seemed like the NZ was going to be more pleasurable to simply use

SutterMill

#8: Post by SutterMill replying to Mbb »

The NZ is a joy to use. Trying to compare flavor's between the NZ and df64 is interesting. The DF64 really does a great job at separating the flavors on lighter roasts. On med/darker roasts I found the conical burrs of the NZ more forgiving and enjoyed the flavor more.
Big plus is the NZ is fairly quiet, looks great and is easy to operate. He should be stoked.