Grinder recommendation around/below $1,500 budget - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
luvmy40

#11: Post by luvmy40 »

I am not saying you should not wait for the Oro. However, I recently picked up the DF 64 with the standard ItalMill burrs and I am very happy with it. I bought second hand from a forum member and I will be making a modification to the declumper as it is the original configuration. Even so, it is not bad. It just requires a little more energetic bellows pumping than I like to get the last little bit of grinds out. Shot to shot retention, unmodified(with enrgetic pumping) is <0.2g.

I can also tell you that Espresso Outlet(linked in second post) is GTG. I pre ordered from them and when I found the used grinder and settled on a price, I cancelled my pre order and EO.net refunded my money in less than 24 hours.

It's worth taking a look at. If you like it, you are done. If you don't sell it at minimal loss and get the Oro.

$0.02

ScottinTexas

#12: Post by ScottinTexas »

I love my Eureka Atom. It's been reliable, quiet, and consistent. As to single dose, perhaps this isn't the grinder for you. I tend to fill the hopper, adjust grind, and move along with my preset timed does (very close), which I weigh for confirmation. When the hopper goes empty, I reach for new beans and find the grind setting as normal. Anyway, love my Atom, so quiet!

Advertisement
NickR (original poster)

#13: Post by NickR (original poster) »

Amazing! I think I'm going to go with it and then (1) stick with the same beans for a while and (2) ensure I'm pulling shots everyday to avoid any staleness issues. It seems that if I do those things, the non-single-dosing aspect is not any issue. Thanks for your review, excited for my new tool to make kick-a** espresso! :)

PeetsFan

#14: Post by PeetsFan »

I think you have a Sette 270, and I'm able to use it without channeling.

First thing to try is take the burr out and make sure the screw which holds the burr in place is tight. Check out this official Baratza video, at the 1:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sBpJcsF7-4

You'll also clean the grinder out in the process. This takes only a few minutes. You need a 5mm Allen wrench.

Porcupine

#15: Post by Porcupine replying to PeetsFan »

The channeling story is what he told his wife :lol:
Let the man enjoy a new grinder ;)

dchooo

#16: Post by dchooo »

I almost feel like used would be the only thing you could get for a good deal. A SD grinder would be hard to find in that price though.