Grinder for Profitec Pro 700

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
RFORESTR

#1: Post by RFORESTR »

Very much a newbie. I just purchased a Profitec Pro 700 and I am looking for a grinder to match. The Ceado line, including the E37S and E7 are of great interest to me and the only piece of information I cannot seem to find is if it is at all practical to change application from espresso to drip coffee since I am the only latte drinker in the house.

Thanks,

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

Hi, welcome to HB! Nice choice for a first machine.

With regard to the grinder, the Ceado seems to be well regarded for espresso. I haven't tried it myself, but most people seem to think it offers good value, although there is a thread complaining about occasionally spraying problems.

As for changing grind settings between espresso and other brew methods, I wouldn't recommend any grinder for that, except maybe something like an EK-43. The reason is that, once you have your grinder dialed in for espresso, and then you change your grind for some other brew method, it's really tough to get it back to the right setting for espresso again. You usually can't just change the setting to the same number on a dial or whatever, because the setting won't be quite the same as it was before.

Really, you're better off having a second grinder just for drip, French press, or whatever brew method you like. You can get a decent brew grinder like a Baratza Encore or similar for around $100-$200, which isn't much compared to a good espresso grinder. Life will be much easier if you don't have to mess with changing the settings every time you want an espresso.
Lock and load!

happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

Baratza encore not great for anything. Blunt edged burrs create too many fines and ruin your cup.

http://m.imgur.com/a/Zm1ZP

You can upgrade the encore burr to sharp edged Preciso for about $20 and 30 mins of effort. I did this for my wife when We had a second home for awhile in another city

Or buy a used bulk grinder. I got a Bunn g1 used for $250 CDN. Even old and beat up it was way way better grind than the stock encore.
LMWDP #603