Grinder for functions/events

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Japheth

#1: Post by Japheth »

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a grinder for functions/events, and would like to know what recommendations you might have. My budget is quite tight though; initially I'd wanted to get a compak E8 OD but don't think I can afford to drop that kind of money (SGD2,354/USD1,737) at the moment. So I have narrowed my options to these few:

1) A used (third hand) mazzer major, possible with new burrs installed, for SGD1,000-1,100/ ~USD 800)

2) Fiorenzato f64 Evo, brand new but not from a company (someone buys them and resell) for SGD1,260/USD930

3) Anfim SCODY II brand new for SGD1,700/USD1,255

I am leaning towards the used major, since it is pretty much in the class of the E8 OD and cheapest, and think I should pull the trigger soon. Just wondering if there are any other options I am missing, or if I should look at getting a new grinder.
- Japheth L.

chrisbodnarphoto

#2: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

The Anfim's have always been extremely well regarded in their doser versions, so it might be worth holding out for the SCODY.

Personally, I would probably go the new grinder route, since the major doesn't really offer much over something like the SCODY. Not to mention you receive a warranty!

Advertisement
gr2020

#3: Post by gr2020 »

If you go Fiorenzato, I'd order a new one from Chris' Coffee - it's $975 USD new right now, and I believe they are the importer for them, and would be providing the warranty.

Edit: never mind...for some reason I assumed you were in the US!

Japheth (original poster)

#4: Post by Japheth (original poster) »

chrisbodnarphoto wrote:The Anfim's have always been extremely well regarded in their doser versions, so it might be worth holding out for the SCODY.

Personally, I would probably go the new grinder route, since the major doesn't really offer much over something like the SCODY. Not to mention you receive a warranty!
Yeah I have heard good stuff about anfim's Super Caimano (and SCODY II is a reiteration of that right?). Do they all come with the titanium coated burr set? On my local purveyor's site it just says hardened steel. And I'm wondering if it can grind as fast as the rest.
gr2020 wrote:If you go Fiorenzato, I'd order a new one from Chris' Coffee - it's $975 USD new right now, and I believe they are the importer for them, and would be providing the warranty.

Edit: never mind...for some reason I assumed you were in the US!
Yeah sorry I didn't state that I'm in Singapore! The F64 Evo grinds really quickly but I'm wondering if its performance and grind quality is up to task, compared to the rest of the grinders in the list.
- Japheth L.

chrisbodnarphoto

#5: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

Japheth wrote:Yeah I have heard good stuff about anfim's Super Caimano (and SCODY II is a reiteration of that right?). Do they all come with the titanium coated burr set? On my local purveyor's site it just says hardened steel. And I'm wondering if it can grind as fast as the rest.
Not sure about the burrs included, but I would say you'd most likely be nitpicking if you were comparing grinding times between all of the above grinders. I imagine they would all be within a second or two of one another, if not slightly more or slightly less. From everything I've read, the SCODY is just a doserless Super Caimano (maybe with a burr difference), but - again - the quality of grind is simply wonderful ... at least from all of the shops I've frequented that still use them.

aecletec

#6: Post by aecletec »

The standard doesn't come with the titanium coated burrs - don't know about the SCODY.

Japheth (original poster)

#7: Post by Japheth (original poster) replying to aecletec »

Found out today that it doesn't either. The way it was put across to me is that it's very much like the first Super Caimano (no titanium coated burrs or the fan) but with a mahlkonig portafilter fork.
- Japheth L.

Advertisement
chrisbodnarphoto

#8: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

I would say that's a positive - no need to make it any better, really. :)

aecletec

#9: Post by aecletec »

The stepless adjustment is a pretty huge improvement considering how sensitive to grind size adjustment the original is.