Grinder for beginner in Indonesia, budget under $150 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
hankua
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by hankua »

The Feima 600 series is available with upgraded ghost burrs; the 610n. Tiamo also sells the same grinder with upgraded burrs as well.

pieteryts (original poster)

#12: Post by pieteryts (original poster) »

Hahaha. Yes for EK43 is great looking due to size.
But I will take it into consideration.

For Baratza Encore, you can fit it with a Preciso burr?
Wonder if vario can fit too... Hehehe..

chang00

#13: Post by chang00 »

I think the Hario V60 electric grinder is a rebadged Welhome ZD-16/Krups 610050/Sunbeam EM0480/Graef CM80, which usually sells in Indonesia for about USD$182/Rp 2400000, around the OP's price range. Welhome is the OEM for these grinders, with factory in southern China. The Welhome ZD-16 is considered an entry grinder for espresso. From recollection, I think the burr carriers are plastic.

The Feima 600N is quite popular in Taiwan and sold frequently at local Costco's in Taiwan. It is not suitable for espresso. Do get the original Feima if possible.

For espresso, consider Feima 900N which uses 64mm burrs but will be above the stated budget.

#14: Post by pieteryts (original poster) »

I think Feima 600N has too many counterfeit, kinda risky.
And yes I have compared the Hario V60 and Welhome ZD-16... Its the same grinder with different casing. (We have a saying here for that kind of product... old song new cassette :P ). And yes its around $180.
I'm thinking for Baratza Encore (later upgraded using Preciso parts) is the safest way to go.
Other competition for this is Zassenhaus - Electric Coffee Mill "Kingston" ranging at $135 but I think its just a Delonghi KG89 (another old song new cassette I guess) or is it not? Anyone has this experience with this grinder or any using brand Zassenhaus?

Mikemiller

#15: Post by Mikemiller »

Baratza Encore is a pretty good way to go. Also check out Cuisinart CBM-18N. I don't know if it will be available to you, but I think it's an improvement over Encore, at least.

#16: Post by pieteryts (original poster) »

Thank you for all the help and replies.
Mike, unfortunately I cannot find the cuisinart here in Jakarta. But Feima (and all withs is counterfeit/mutations), baratza, wellhome, and rancilio is pretty abundance.
One more question. For Baratza encore vs the Feima 600N, who is more better?
Any pros and cons?

lastofthefamous

#17: Post by lastofthefamous replying to pieteryts »

Baratza Encore has plastic burr holder, makes it vulnerable with heavy use and it grinds slowly especially on fine grind size. The 600N (original) is good for brewing that requires medium or medium-coarse grind size but I won't recommend both grinders for espresso. Baratza used conical burr and 600N used flat burr. If you're going for home brewing (pour over etc) I suggest the 600N since it's cheaper both for the unit and the burr replacement. I have used both and I'm back using my Porlex grinder lol :D

Don't forget; buy what you need, not what you want. Cause once you're hooked up on coffee brewing, there are LOADS of tools you're gonna want.. And most of them are ridiculously expensive lol :D