Grinder Advice - Single dose (Lagom P64 vs Weber Key)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gandalf_wiz

#1: Post by Gandalf_wiz »

Hi All,

Looking for advice on a new grinder. Currently have a Macap m42d. Was intrigued by e65s GBW but I want to move to single dose grinder.

Currently debating between the Lagom P64 vs the Weber Key grinder. Anyone have experience with either or both? Looking for any advice and am open to other suggestions as well.

I will be using this almost exclusively using this for espresso.

Not looking to spend the amount required for the EG1 or monolith max.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

What are your preferences in espresso?

Do you enjoy classic, medium, or light roasts?

What is important to you in the overall flavor of espresso? (To me, "flavor" includes everything, not just the taste)

mmntip

#3: Post by mmntip »

Gandalf_wiz wrote: Currently debating between the Lagom P64 vs the Weber Key grinder. Anyone have experience with either or both? Looking for any advice and am open to other suggestions as well.
I don't believe the Weber Key is out in the wild yet, so barring a review version nobody has experience with it yet. You could perhaps look at the HG2 reviews out, since the burss are the same, so results will be somewhat similar (although motor speed will affect the end result compared to manually grinding).

Gandalf_wiz (original poster)

#4: Post by Gandalf_wiz (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. Yes I have watched some reviews on the HG2 to get an idea of the burr review. It's difficult to get a good comparison though for reasons that you suggested.

#5: Post by Gandalf_wiz (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Welcome to H-B!

What are your preferences in espresso?

Do you enjoy classic, medium, or light roasts?

What is important to you in the overall flavor of espresso? (To me, "flavor" includes everything, not just the taste)

Thanks for the response Jeff.

I prefer classic to medium roasts. In terms of flavour I tend to prefer rich, full bodied, texted shots based on the beans I usually purchase. I also most commonly drink it as an Americano (black).

EdTW

#6: Post by EdTW »

I'm a complete newbie but I was also struggling with the same decision weeks ago.
I went with the Key in the end (although the wait time is much longer) because:
1. Weber is known for making quality products so I placed my faith in that. (also made in Taiwan while p64 is made in China)
2. it is simply the best looking kitchen appliance I have ever seen
3. it has one of the biggest conical burr out there. I feel like owning this automatically allows me to not look at any other conical again for a long time.
4. I'm more into milk drinks and I heard conical burr grinders are just the right grinder for that.

If for some reason I want to venture into lighter roasts (or drinking straight espresso) and find the Key is limiting me, I will look into buying a P64 unimodal or even a Monolith flat max.

I emailed both Lagom and Weber 2 weeks ago and we are looking at early next year for the Key to ship (customer support said likely in January) and late November to early December for P64.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by JB90068 »

I can't offer you a comparison but what I can write about is my thoughts about Weber Workshops. I own several of their products and use them daily. Customer service is as good as their products. On build quality, they are top notch. Design and being user friendly is superb. Looks - IMHO - the best in the industry. As to their prices, buy once, cry once. I thought it was a bit over the top spending $600 for salt and pepper mills until I used them the first time. They are hands down the finest I've ever used. I will offer that this is true of all the tools of theirs I own and I have no regrets on any of my purchases. I just wish I hadn't wasted my money on a middle of the road grinder just to replace it six weeks later with an EG-1. Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I hope it offers some perspective about WW.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

#8: Post by Gandalf_wiz (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice and opinions.

I was actually able to find a Lagom P64 with high uniformity SSP burrs and received the unit last week. I was surprised I was able to get one so quickly and pulled the trigger.

The first week with it has not disappointed. The grinder is easy to use and I love the way it looks beside my machine. The grind consistency so far has exceeded expectations and that's been without having a chance to really tinker with the settings or RPM. It was quite straight forward to dial in the initial use and it's really improved my shot consistency and taste.

Overall I'm very happy with the grinder and am not having any buyer's remorse or second thoughts for not waiting for the Key.

LindoPhotography

#9: Post by LindoPhotography »

I have both and I like the usage / workflow of the p64 better than the Key, it's neater simpler and more what I'm used to.
Grind quality from the large 83mm Mazzer burrs are very nice, not as high clarity as the P64 with Unimodal (multipurpose burrs) but it's not too far off at lower rpm which was a little surprising for a conical. I think P64 seems more consistent and repeatable, where sometimes the Key seems to behave weirdly, but conicals are more forgiving anyway so you usually get good results anyway, but it's sometimes trickier to dial in, I found.

How are you liking the P64 vs the E65sGBW? *update: Oops, thought you said you already had an E65sGBW.

Frenchman

#10: Post by Frenchman »

LindoPhotography wrote:I have both and I like the usage / workflow of the p64 better than the Key, it's neater simpler and more what I'm used to.
Do you plan to keep both? Are they different enough? I currently have a Mazzer Mini that I use single dosing (but it's of course nowhere near zero retention without a painful workflow), with 58 mm burrs as well as 64 mm (to be installed). And a Key coming up. Since I am also getting a a lever machine that will live at the other end of my kitchen, I've been wondering whether to keep the Mini (and install the 64 mm burrs and Daniel Wong's mods) or get a P64. I only drink espresso-based drinks (tried pourover and headaches kept me away).

Actually on second thought... By the time this happens the Acaia Orbit will be a consideration too. If it works as well as the P64, and without Prima Coffee's price gouging, it'd definitely be a strong option (the aesthetics work for me, save for the blue LED lighting). And had I known the Key would take so long to be ready... It wouldn't have been a bad option.
LMWDP #712