Great espresso machines with 15 min warm-up

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bubblecar

#1: Post by bubblecar »

Having enjoyed my second-hand Gaggia Classic and Iberital MC2 for around 3 years, it's now time to upgrade.

For a grinder, I'll get either a Eureka mignon XL, or the new Mahlkonig.

The issue is the coffee machine.
I drink 4-5 cups per day, sometime more if I have guests.
The Profitec 600 looks ideal, as does the Bezzera Duo, and a few other machines.

However I cannot do a 30 minute warm-up: I need maximum 15 mins, and my start times vary day by day, so a start timer isn't a solution.
This is partly because I don't want to use so much electricity by keeping it on all day, and also because I live in Italy, where many appartments are limited to 3.5KW (220v) load. If I had these machines on all day, I wouldn't be able to run various other things in the appartment.

Ironically for the home of Espresso, it's quite difficult to find good home espresso machines.

The Profitec 300 looks a bit meh, the Silvia Pro has been badly reviewed. The Decent DE1 looks perfect, but SOOOO expensive.

Any other suggestions I should look at?

The Bezzera with an electrically heated head could be an option, but you can't get it with flow control...

Thanks for your suggestions!

palica

#2: Post by palica »

I know you are from Italy so sorry for what you will be reading below :mrgreen:
I would consider a serious espresso machine with thermal block and therefore consider a Spain made Ascaso. With my Dream PID, the machine does reach its temp within 1 mn and if you leave an extra 5 mns to the PF and group, everything will be at temp and pretty stable in less than 5 mns.
Another solution would be a Decent but not in the same price range.

GLT

#3: Post by GLT »

ECM machines (Syncronika) seem to do it for me. Very fast if no 2 liter milk steamer is needed. Brew boilers are .75 liters.

CarreraRSR

#4: Post by CarreraRSR »

Would you consider a Breville dual boiler?

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by ShotClock »

I think you will be fine leaving a regular dual boiler machine on all day. One they are up to temperature, power consumption is pretty low, maybe 100W or so. Maximum ratings will rarely be reached.

palica

#6: Post by palica replying to ShotClock »

Leaving an espresso machine switched on all day long is sooooo 1990... :roll:

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Cafelat Robot
Flair 58
Arrarex VAM/Caravel (vintage)
Faema Faemina (vintage)
Strietman
Argos Odyssey (assuming it meets expectations)

Close-coupled machines like the Lelit Elizabeth or the Breville (Sage) Dual Boiler

The MaraX or Bianca might be reasonably stable after 15 min

I'm not a fan of thermoblock machines at prices less than the DE1. I think that the DE1 is now too expensive for what it can provide, especially in the regions where the price is further increased. Maybe Acaso or someone will ship me a current machine and change my mind.
★ Helpful

bubblecar (original poster)

#8: Post by bubblecar (original poster) »

CarreraRSR wrote:Would you consider a Breville dual boiler?
GAH! I really wanted to avoid this, but I know it does all these things.

Am I being too snobby about the Breville?

bubblecar (original poster)

#9: Post by bubblecar (original poster) »

ShotClock wrote:I think you will be fine leaving a regular dual boiler machine on all day. One they are up to temperature, power consumption is pretty low, maybe 100W or so. Maximum ratings will rarely be reached.
It's sadly not just the electricity usage, it's also the heat.

In the summer it gets to 40C and we spend huge energy cooling the appartment.

Having an espresso machine on all day would just further heat the place, and is a massive no-no.

An extra factor which I had forgotten to mention is that morning is cappuccino time: I need steam to funciton within 15 mins as well...

Randy G.

#10: Post by Randy G. »

I guess I will be the first: Decent DE1.4. About a three minute warmup time. Near instant switch from espresso to steam-maybe ten or twelve seconds. So fast I have never cared to quantify it.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done