Good knockbox

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Idfixe

#1: Post by Idfixe »

Anyone have an opinion on what makes a good knock box?

shanec

#2: Post by shanec replying to Idfixe »

Do you have a garbage can close to your machine? I decided that since my pullout can is only about 8' away they I prefer to knock the puck out directly into the trash so I can keep my countertop less cluttered and not have to worry about cleaning the knockbox regularly. If your daily usage or layout makes that approach less desirable, I would consider something fairly sizeable so it matches your Slayer and Peak (both pretty bulky). The Cafelat Cafe or Large Tubbi Knockboxes may be good options. For me, a removable knock bar would be a really nice feature for cleaning and replacement purposes.

Advertisement
JR_Germantown

#3: Post by JR_Germantown »

Agreed. The large Tubbi is great!

Jack

SJM

#4: Post by SJM »

Knock boxes have always seemed like the ultimate rip off to me.
Too little for too much....

Still, the grounds have to go somewhere.
This OXO compost bucket with a wooden spoon laid across the top for knocking is what I've come up with.
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-C ... B016BA053O

DavidO

#5: Post by DavidO »

Idfixe wrote:Anyone have an opinion on what makes a good knock box?
Depends on you and your workflow and usage.

For instance, initially I wanted a small knockbox because I was content to empty it more frequently. That quickly became tedious, so I picked up a Cafelat Classic in stainless steel, much bigger than my former. Some can't stand the idea of having a 'wastebin' on their counter, but I enjoy having it to throw an occasional paper towel, loose particles and beans, etc. Also, if I had to wipe away wet grounds from the portafilter, I did that over the box. I had to "aim" with the former smaller box, which made it a little more messy. With the bigger, the site is much cleaner.

Most of the brand names you know are all of high enough quality that you don't need to worry about breaking anything. Look for a removable bar to make emptying and cleaning easier, and available replacement parts.

Nik

#6: Post by Nik »

Never have owned or used a knock box. Just seems like something extra to clean that's unnecessary. Use a waste can lined with a plastic bag. I would probably miss the knock box and have coffee grinds all over the place.

SJM

#7: Post by SJM »

That seemed right to me too until I got tired of having to dig the basket out of the garbage bucket.

Advertisement
JR_Germantown

#8: Post by JR_Germantown »

I had a small 4" square stainless lock box before the large Tubbi. It only held 6 pucks, and that's if you broke them. I didn't care for its sharp metal edges. And even with a brush, I could never get the inside corners completely clean. And the bar was tricky to put back in, because it had rubber grommets that had to be placed just right.

The large Tubbi, on the other hand, has no corners, and no sharp edges. The bar just slips in snugly. It holds maybe 30 pucks.

Jack

Idfixe (original poster)

#9: Post by Idfixe (original poster) »

shanec wrote:Do you have a garbage can close to your machine? I decided that since my pullout can is only about 8' away they I prefer to knock the puck out directly into the trash so I can keep my countertop less cluttered and not have to worry about cleaning the knockbox regularly. If your daily usage or layout makes that approach less desirable, I would consider something fairly sizeable so it matches your Slayer and Peak (both pretty bulky). The Cafelat Cafe or Large Tubbi Knockboxes may be good options. For me, a removable knock bar would be a really nice feature for cleaning and replacement purposes.
Yes this is currently what I have. Trash can about 6ft of machine... my portafilter has a woden handle which I don't want to scratch or ding... if I had a knockbox, i would be able to hit the coffee basket which is made for this...

Wife indeed believes a less cluttered is better

Thanks for your suggestion

amagad

#10: Post by amagad »

ive been in this situation and recently purchased a large tubbi. I went with a small knock box but quicky grew out of it. For me, its useful to have a knock box, I can keep the mess in close quarters for cleanup later. still waiting on my tubbi to arrive from china, taking forever.