Good grinder to pair with La Marzocco Linea Mini?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
hazeleyes
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by hazeleyes »

I've recently decided to jump into the home espresso hobby with both feet, as it were. After quite a bit of research, I settled on the LM Linea Mini, and I've just received notice that it will be shipping at the end of October. As you may imagine, I'm both excited and a little nervous!

I'm looking for advice regarding a good grinder to pair with this outstanding machine. I have considered numerous grinders: the Niche Zero, various Eurekas, all the way up to the Monolith & EG-1 range. Many of these are difficult to obtain and/or aimed at people who are far more expert than I. In my research I became intrigued by the Mahlkonig E65S GbW: it's a beautiful machine, and its high tech features appeal to me. Importantly, it looks like I'd be able to obtain one by the time my LMLM arrives.

Is buying a commercial grinder like this a crazy idea??

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Should be a good choice for a well designed solid grinder.
We have a previous generation of a Mahlkonig grinder and I've never regretted the purchase. I'd definitely consider the E65S GbW as a replacement.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

Commercial GOD grinders retain of lot of coffee after grinding. They're made for high volume but with home use 1/2 of your grinds will be stale grinds or you need to purge 6-8gr every shot which, with current coffee prices, will set you back a couple of hunderd dollars a year on wasted coffee. So yes it's a great grinder which is build really well but has major downsides for home use.

A grinder like the Niche Zero or EG-1 is much more suitabe for home use.
★ Helpful

jeffb
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by jeffb »

I have a LM LM paired with a Monolith Conical.

Before purchasing the Monolith I had the prior version of
Fiorenzato F4E.

Was very happy with performance of the F4.

Good Luck with you new machine, I enjoy mine and it has been a stellar performer!

keno

#5: Post by keno »

If you are totally new to espresso you are at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to choosing a grinder. There are a couple of things it really helps to know before you buy to help narrow the field. First, what sort of taste profile and coffees do you like? Burr type and design can help to accentuate certain types of flavors. Second, when it comes to choosing a grinder do you prefer single dosing or using a hopper? Each workflow/approach has its pros/cons. Third, what is your budget? There are a wide range of grinders that could be paired with the Linea Mini. Finally, there is size - do you have any constraints on size (eg, height can be an issue if if is going under a cabinet)?

If you can answer these questions people will be able to provide better recommendations.
★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

The good news is that once you get to the level of the Niche Zero, you can get several grinders that will make great espresso. The differences among them, properly dialed in, in the cup, are small. The differences in ease of use, size, and footprint are probably more significant.

I was at a local meet-up today with several coffees and a couple Niche Zeros and an assortment of Kafatek grinders. I can't say that the differences were at the level of "Oh, this one is clearly better". Definitely different, but each has its compromises.

lancealot

#7: Post by lancealot »

Reports say its a great grinder. I would absolutely LOVE to have a GBW workflow. Less steps = more elegant. I personally have a strong preference for hopper (GOD) over single dosing. So that puts grinders like the Niche out of the question for me. Thats a personal preference though and everyone is going to have their own. Good luck.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
hazeleyes (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by hazeleyes (original poster) »

keno wrote:If you are totally new to espresso you are at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to choosing a grinder. There are a couple of things it really helps to know before you buy to help narrow the field. First, what sort of taste profile and coffees do you like? Burr type and design can help to accentuate certain types of flavors. Second, when it comes to choosing a grinder do you prefer single dosing or using a hopper? Each workflow/approach has its pros/cons. Third, what is your budget? There are a wide range of grinders that could be paired with the Linea Mini. Finally, there is size - do you have any constraints on size (eg, height can be an issue if if is going under a cabinet)?

If you can answer these questions people will be able to provide better recommendations.
I don't think my tastes are sophisticated enough yet to have any strong preferences regarding coffees, but till now I've generally favored medium roasts. My little Ode is a single-dose grinder, of course, so I've been weighing and storing pre-measured doses for my Moccamaster, and it's worked well. That said, I can see the positives of a grinder with a hopper as well. Budget is fairly flexible and won't be broken by the Mahlkonig. My over-counter cabinets are just under 18" from the countertop, but there's an open space next to the kitchen where I could set up a small coffee bar if something doesn't fit.

salvia

#9: Post by salvia »

Hey Chris,
I don't have a Linea Mini...yet, but have you looked at the Ditting 807 Lab Sweet?
I'm surprised it's not talked about more here. Based on reviews from Mr. Weary Cup et al, it would be my top pick if I was in the market.

(The E65GbW also looks great, if you're decide you'd rather not single dose)

Ricci

#10: Post by Ricci »

I have a LMLM paired with a Niche Zero and they are both a pleasure to use each and every morning.
The Niche Zero is compact, reasonably priced, quiet, great for a daily coffee or four and looks good on the counter.
Grinding into the dosing cup then transferring to portafilter can be time consuming, but if you enjoy the process then it becomes a daily ritual. The Niche Zero burrs definitely need to be worn in as well. The first 15 - 20kgs produce a muddy tasting cup.
I couldn't be happier with the pairing, but I do wonder what life would be like with a Lagom P64.