Good grinder for pourover and Aeropress applications?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Megadivo

#1: Post by Megadivo »

I've been recently getting into more brew methods such as pour over (Chemex, Hario V60, Kalita Wave) and Aeropress, and the occasional batch of cold brew. I was wondering if there is a good grinder that could give me consistent results with all of the above. I do not do espresso.

I am considering a Virtuoso but was told that if I do not mind the extra work, I could achieve a much better grind quality and consistency with a good hand grinder such as a Lido 3, Helor 101, or Comandante MK3 Nitro, all of which are around the same price. I have a Porlex that I use when I travel with my Aeropress, so I certainly do not mind a little manual labor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MikFlores300

#2: Post by MikFlores300 »

There are a few threads recently reviewing the same thing. But I'll say I have the Helor 101 with conventional burrs (brew set) and find it amazing for the price. I've used it for Kalita and V60 so far and have gotten excellent cups. It's almost as good as my Forte.

Advertisement
Megadivo (original poster)

#3: Post by Megadivo (original poster) »

Thank you. I was considering one of these manuals for pour overs and Aeropress and then possibly a Virtuoso for batches of Toddy/Filtron cold brew (hand grinding a pound of beans at a time would be awful).

I'm tempted by the Forte, but a beginner like myself cannot justify spending that much on a grinder for at least a couple years.

I've seen lots of talk on here about Bunnzillas, but seeing as I am very new to this, I would not even know where to begin with assembling one. Maybe in the future

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Bunzilla is a really simple problem. Start by finding a Bunn, new or used. If it's used, take it apart and clean it, requires only 2 or maybe 3 screwdrivers. Phillips and one or two flats. Manuals are available on the Bunn web site. Then try using it as is. If you want to put in the better burrs, send money to the person who sells the burrs with the adapter ring and change them, about 10 minutes at most.

If you purchase a used one in person make sure the back burr carrier comes off. Sometimes they won't come off easily for various reasons. Not a reason not to buy it, but ought to be worth a discount if it won't.

Assuming of course you're comfortable taking things apart and putting them back together.

Ira

dale_cooper

#5: Post by dale_cooper »

I have both a virtuoso and lido 2. I believe they're very comparable to each other. To be honest I need to sell one so I can get a dedicated espresso grinder. Send me a message I'd you're interested.