Good grinder for pour over

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Leelo77

#1: Post by Leelo77 »

I have an ode grinder and a Kinu m47. Neither seem to be great as far as drip coffee goes. What is a good grinder.. Under 500 give or take. We brew a lot of light roast African coffees. Uneven particle distribution seems to be a problem pretty often.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Electric? Manual?

Which burrs do you have in your Ode and which version Ode?

What do you want to improve in the cup?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

I like the V60 cups from the Kinu pourover burr - I've actually been brewing with that burr for the past couple of weeks. At $40, it is an inexpensive option to try. I will add, though, that my burr took a lot of coffee to break in.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ggcadc

#4: Post by ggcadc »

What makes you think the problem is the grinder? If you've got two known good grinders and you don't like the results there may be another variable at play.

Leelo77 (original poster)

#5: Post by Leelo77 (original poster) »

Preparation very well may be playing into the outcome in the cup. But we are consistently seeing what looks like a muddy top when we are done and having exceptionally slow drawdowns. It doesn't seem to matter how many different techniques or suggestions I try.
The suggestion for the pour over burrs is a good one. My Kinu has done pretty well with espresso. Thank you.
I don't believe either grinder has a great reputation as far as fine particulates go.
I'm still interested in finding an automatic grinder that does well with drip or pour over coffee.. Low Fine particulates in the medium grind range. Thank you everyone!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing replying to Leelo77 »

You don't drink the bed :D.

Note that some coffees/roasts are going to generate more fines than other coffees/roasts. Some Ethiopians/Yemens are infamous for producing lots of fines.

Pouring technique also makes a difference. The same coffee and grind can leave a bed topped with mud or a bed that looks like there are almost no fines; and/or fines on the filter paper vs. fines in the grounds. I don't think that there is a general pattern on the impact on taste, but in V60's pouring technique and the quality of the pouring kettle makes a ridiculous difference on drawdown and in what the bed eventually looks like.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada