Good Grinder Around $500 Budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Eeshan

#1: Post by Eeshan »

I used to use pre ground coffee but now I have gotten a bit serious in the coffee section so i was thinking of buying a new grinder
I have a entry level espresso machine and was thinking of buy a new grinder so I can upgrade later this year to the silvia or oscar (dont know yet)
I was thinking of a few grinders :
1 Baratza Sette 270W 479 $
2 Baratza vario Burr Grinder 479 $
3 Eureka Mignon Burr Grinder 449 $

I am open to suggestions of other grinders but they shouldnt exceed the 500-600$ mark

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

An OE Pharos. Well below budget and gives you top-of-the-bill burrs instead of a entry level grinder. E

very second-hand commercial grinder with a doser will be a lot cheaper and built like a tank with superb quality (Mazzer Super Jolly, Major, San Maroc grindersd etc.). Maybe a second hand Mazzer Mini E with Super Jolly burrs.

Eeshan (original poster)

#3: Post by Eeshan (original poster) »

Could you tell me where I could pick up a Second hand grinder ? and the thing about Used grinders is that i have suspicion that like all used electronics its not gonna be that good like from ebay or other sites

rockethead26

#4: Post by rockethead26 »

Stretch your budget to $595 and consider the Fiorenzato F4E

OldNuc

#5: Post by OldNuc »

Used grinder will require cleaning and burrs as a minimum and possibly bearings. These are not cheap so figure that cost into the equation. That $100.00 Craigslist bargain will end up costing you more than that brand new OE Pharos when it is all said and done and the Pharos will be a much better grinder.

CSME9

#6: Post by CSME9 »

Eeshan wrote:I used to use pre ground coffee but now I have gotten a bit serious in the coffee section so i was thinking of buying a new grinder
I have a entry level espresso machine and was thinking of buy a new grinder so I can upgrade later this year to the silvia or oscar (dont know yet)
I was thinking of a few grinders :
1 Baratza Sette 270W 479 $
2 Baratza vario Burr Grinder 479 $
3 Eureka Mignon Burr Grinder 449 $

I am open to suggestions of other grinders but they shouldnt exceed the 500-600$ mark
Consider the Quamar m80e, approximate cost $520.

Eeshan (original poster)

#7: Post by Eeshan (original poster) »

OldNuc wrote:Used grinder will require cleaning and burrs as a minimum and possibly bearings. These are not cheap so figure that cost into the equation. That $100.00 Craigslist bargain will end up costing you more than that brand new OE Pharos when it is all said and done and the Pharos will be a much better grinder.
I was just saying Used because many people recommend getting a used super jolly or something and changing the burrs but i am ok with a lower end new too .
I am not Much of a manual guy in the morning i wont have time to grind

mania

#8: Post by mania »

Hi
You know...depending on how many drinks you pull a day
I have to agree with those that point to OE products

The Pharos or even the Lido 3 or E is such a screaming deal when one considers the grind you get for your $$$

I swear I have a Lido 3 & time is not an issue what so ever if grinding for 2-3 drinks

That aside if going electric the usual suspects
The Sette is an unknown quantity but may turn out to be a game changer too & priced in your range

Good Luck

jchung

#9: Post by jchung »

I bought my used Mazzer Major off of craigslist when it popped up a couple months ago. Its been great so far. I did spend a bit converting it from doser to doserless. But if I kept it as a doser, then it would have just required new burrs and a good cleaning which would have kept it under your budget.

Faspaz

#10: Post by Faspaz »

Baratza Sette. Take anything else off your list. It's also the best grinder under $2,000....one respected coffee aficionado just replaced his Compak K10 PB with the Sette. Mind you, that's a $1,300 difference in price. I say look no further.