A good $1000 USD (or less) espresso machine? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Need some Zzzz (original poster)

#31: Post by Need some Zzzz (original poster) »

OK, so I finally pulled the trigger on one item.
Drum roll, please! :-)
I went with a used Silvia 3. Seems to be in good shape, the price was decent and the coffee I was served was nice, with little attention spent to the process needed to pull a good espresso.
Time to turn my attention to what everyone says is the most important equipment of the two, the grinder.
I hope to one day own a Cafelat Robot, so if you have any suggestions of a unit that would get along well with the Silvia I just bought and a Robot, I'm all ears.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions you've all already made!

Hope you're day's a good one (or at least your coffee is!)!

klee11mtl

#32: Post by klee11mtl »

Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy the journey and the coffee.

My grinder suggestion would be to try honestly as possible to answer these questions in your own mind first and determine if/how important they are to you; they will at least narrow down your options. There will always be an upgrade for some amount of $$$ so this can also help keep your eye on the ball.

- Budget. And consider whether you would consider this your last grinder or if you would be open to a upgrade/swap/additional in the future.
- flat vs conical. Lots of opinions on this site and elsewhere so good luck!
- espresso only vs other methods also. Note most folks would recommend separate grinders so maybe consider that as part of your budgeting.
- aesthetics. Colors, height, footprint, general look.
- noise level
- single dose required/capable/friendly
- messiness and cleaning routine
- upgradeable burrs required or not

Jeff
Team HB

#33: Post by Jeff »

If you're changing coffees regularly, I'd recommend a design that is intended for single-dosing over a hopper or one that the manufacturer merely adapted.

Quester

#34: Post by Quester replying to Jeff »

I agree.

Stale coffee. Even if you purge a hopper grinder, it's not getting all the stale coffee out right away. It's changing the mix toward fresh coffee the more you purge. Obviously, this varies quite a lot with different grinders.

Chasing the grind. Because of the "mix" I mentioned above, changing grind setting doesn't show up right away. When I first had my Mahlkonig Peak, I found myself over-correcting both ways and ended up chasing the grind.

Recipies. I usually have several small bags of coffee with the recipe for the grinder(s) written on the bag. It's fun to pull different coffees during the day or serve different coffees to guests. A low-retention single-dose grinder makes this easy.

Waste. Purging hopper grinders takes quite a lot of coffee.

#35: Post by Need some Zzzz (original poster) »

Kevin,
Jeff,
Kevin,
Much thanks for your comments!

So here's how I see it:
• Not looking to make big upgrades in the future but would consider modifying the burrs at some point
• Would like a grinder that could be used for another type of coffee but it's not a make or break
• A quiet grinder please
• Single dose capabilities
At some point I'd like to invest in a manual grinder. The whole manual setup intrigues me.

The Eureka Mignon Specialita looks very nice but it ain't cheap! Does Eureka make a less expensive model that still offers good grind for the buck? At the price of the Specialita, maybe the Niche is a better option? I just hate having to wait a couple of months or more to get one. I do like the look of the Niche though and it seems to consistently get good reviews.
I saw a YouTube video for the Specialita that gives you plans to 3D print a unit to help make it more of a single dose machine. It looked like a smart idea. Anyone have a take on this?
Thanks again for the help!

Bluenoser

#36: Post by Bluenoser »

Your concept of expensive will be a moving value the longer you are in this hobby. The niche and specialita are both good options. The DF64 is another option that probably has more burr options. For flat burrs you'll likely want to align them for brew methods. If you are going to get a manual I'd do that now and then just read for a bit on different burr options that you might want in the future. a good Kinu Phoenix or commodante c40, a 1ZPresso model or equiv will be as good as a $700 electric.

peacecup

#37: Post by peacecup »

I know you said no levers, but just in case, my wife has been making great espresso for years on my Ponte Vecchio machines, just like in the video:

https://pontevecchiosrl.it/en/
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

DamianWarS

#38: Post by DamianWarS »

Need some Zzzz wrote:Kevin,
Jeff,
Kevin,
Much thanks for your comments!

So here's how I see it:
• Not looking to make big upgrades in the future but would consider modifying the burrs at some point
• Would like a grinder that could be used for another type of coffee but it's not a make or break
• A quiet grinder please
• Single dose capabilities
At some point I'd like to invest in a manual grinder. The whole manual setup intrigues me.

The Eureka Mignon Specialita looks very nice but it ain't cheap! Does Eureka make a less expensive model that still offers good grind for the buck? At the price of the Specialita, maybe the Niche is a better option? I just hate having to wait a couple of months or more to get one. I do like the look of the Niche though and it seems to consistently get good reviews.
I saw a YouTube video for the Specialita that gives you plans to 3D print a unit to help make it more of a single dose machine. It looked like a smart idea. Anyone have a take on this?
Thanks again for the help!
DF64 is considerably cheaper and it packs a punch. The Niche and DF64 are different grinders one with conical burrs the other flat burrs. The niche is built very well with a lot of thought into the design. The DF64 is more function over form but the important part is it does work, and it works well. If the niche is in your price range and you're willing to wait it's a great grinder, if it's too much... The DF64 can hit that sweet spot of a good quality of grind at the right price. I work in emerging markets and help cafe start ups with very small budgets and the DF64 is the grinder I often recommend.

#39: Post by Need some Zzzz (original poster) »

Dave,
Jack,
Andrew,
Thanks for your comments!

Dave, I get your point and I'm starting to see that the more you get into the subtleties of coffee, the more each tool and device has its benefits and disadvantages, each at their respective price points.

Jack, too late for the lever but no need to convince me that it's a worthwhile piece of equipment. I'm sure I'll be back at some point looking at a model to consider, although the Robot has already scored a few points in my books.

Andrew, the DF64 isn't the nicest looking unit but seems like a good first choice. With the DF I might have some budget left to buy a hand grinder in the not too distant future.

Thanks again!