A good $1000 USD (or less) espresso machine? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Need some Zzzz (original poster)

#21: Post by Need some Zzzz (original poster) »

I have a nephew that has a background in electronics and likes to take things apart and modify. With what you said, he'll definitely be called upon when and if I go that route.

#22: Post by Need some Zzzz (original poster) »

Wow! Another great option, Rich!
Thanks for posting it!
I'll check some prices and how available the top 2 models are.
Great stuff!

LObin

#23: Post by LObin »

Salut Richard,

Sent you a DM, check your mailbox ;)
LMWDP #592

#24: Post by Need some Zzzz (original poster) »

Hey LObin!

Thanks! I'll have a look!

R.

_Ryan_

#25: Post by _Ryan_ »

Need some Zzzz wrote:Hey Ryan!
I'll do a bit of research on the used models you suggested but I think our market is hot for that kind of item and that they'd get scooped up quickly. I checked out the 1Zpresso JX-PRO and you guys are making me a believer! The price is good and I'd have a manual tool that would still be good to have even if I get an automatic grinder at a later date.
On another note, do you know if I can get a pressurized portafilter that would fit in the Silvia? I think my wife is going to keep using our old grinder and she'd be satisfied if she could make a cup of coffee that resembles what she was drinking with our Aroma that died. I'm thinking a pressurized portafilter would help achieve that using coffee ground with our old grinder and that her coffee might even taste better using the new machine. Is that a fair assumption?
The Gaggia Classic Pro ships with both pressurised and unpressurised portafilters.
Never heard of the use of pressurised with a Silvia.

GCP might be worth a look, and is cheaper new. Could spend some of the savings on a J-max instead of Jx-pro and enjoy external adjustment instead of internal.
The price difference of the Jx-pro and J-max isn't a fair comparison if you're going to take the grinder out of the house- the J-max includes a sturdy soft shell case, from memory the Jx-pro you'd pay extra for this.
Summary of differences here. https://1zpresso.coffee/jmax-vs-jxpro/

-R.

#26: Post by Need some Zzzz (original poster) »

Hey Ryan!
More food for thought.
I'm telling you, just as I'm thinking that I'm getting close to making a move, I get sucked back into the tornado of coffee equipment choices. My consolation is that the more I read and watch, I see I'm not alone!
Recency bias comes into play with every review I read.
I was close to going with a Robot and hand grinder (I'll make my wife her coffee on weekends if she can't get the hang of using a manual machine) but then saw a video saying that a machine grinder would be a better fit with a Robot.
I could bore you with many of the thought processes I've been going through but that would be a terrible way to start the new year! ;-)
The search continues, I suppose...

Jeff
Team HB

#27: Post by Jeff »

Lots of opinions out there. In my experience, the main difference between a quality, manual grinder and a mid-range electric (under about $1,000) is in the workflow, not so much in the cup.

DamianWarS

#28: Post by DamianWarS »

Need some Zzzz wrote:Hey there coffee aficionados!

I need your help getting some sleep.
I've been going nuts staying up in the wee hours of the morning searching sooo many sites looking for the best choice for present and future espresso machine and coffee grinder purchases.
My 15 year old Saeco Aroma went kaput and I figured it's time to upgrade a bit.
HB has helped me get familiar with the coffee lingo but I still need the community's help to refine my choices.
I have a very ordinary grinder, a Jura Capresso 565 that I plan to upgrade but not just yet. The Niche Zero seems to be a great grinder but isn't readily available which gives me some time to save up for that purchase.
So it's the espresso machine search for now, if possible one that's forgiving considering my present grinder situation.
With a ballpark budget of $1000 USD (or less...), what are my best options?
A lever machine is out of the question seeing as my wife would find it difficult to use.
I'd like a machine that has a decent track record for reliability that can be self-repaired (here we go with the Breville debate...) when necessary but nothing that will have me thinking about ditching it for a new machine because the repairs are near impossible or too pricey.
In terms of features, a PID seems like a must. Am I wrong? Is there a standout PID single boiler machine at that price?
Double boiler PID is out of the question with my price point, I think (I put my name on a list for a refurbished BDB but who knows when one might become available).
I'm willing to sacrifice on milk frothing but would like something that can do a respectable job when called upon (we put up with a Nespresso frother to give you an idea of where we sit on milk frothing).
I pay some attention to my coffee but not next level attention - I'll weigh my coffee and water but that's about it. That might change with a new machine, though! ;-). My counter space height is 18 inches (46 cm). A smaller footprint would be great. It'll be in a corner space of our kitchen that isn't huge.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Gaggia Classic Pro is a favourtie amoung baristas trying to save some cash and if you mod it you can get all the features you're looking for. Lance Hedricks has done some great videos on the Gaggia Classic before and after mods. idrinkcoffee.ca lists it for $575 CAD and they pay the tax (and in Canada that means something). If you get it with the intent to mod I would recommend using it daily until your routine can be done blindfolded before you consider modding, this also helps with expenses as you pay a little now then later invest in upping the game after your able to fully grasp the ins and outs of the machine. Lance estimates all the costs to be about $400 USD which is about $510 CAD and if you're couting that puts you a just over your budget but each mod can be done separately so it doesn't have to be a all at once payment and you may be able to source some cheaper parts.

if you're looking for a out of the box ready to go machine I would look at getting a used Breville BDB, and I know you have been trying to get one but that might be your best option. otherwise as already suggested the world of levers are great options. The Robot or the Flair58 are great options, the Robot is a fan favourite but I would lean towards the Flair58 as it has more standardize, PF/basket, etc... it's not that either one produces better espresso it's that with the Flair58 you have more options with buying after market parts and more of a familar experience to other espresso machines where the Robot has it's own unique workflow and more properitary parts. The Flair58 goes for $735 CAD at Cafune so it more than fits the budget and alows you to get some the accessories for the unit.

#29: Post by Need some Zzzz (original poster) »

Hey Jeff!
Good to know! Hopefully, whatever choice I wind up making will result in a better coffee than I was drinking with my old machine.
Thanks for the post!

#30: Post by Need some Zzzz (original poster) »

Hey Andrew!
I've been checking out the used market for a Silvia or Gaggia Pro with PID or not, depending upon the price point. I think if I were to buy a new unit, I would hold off adding the PID until the warranty was up, as you suggested also.
Someone was nice enough to send me a link for a used machine that was available and very recent but the price was a little steep if I wanted to add a grinder. Also, even if it was a fairly new machine, the warranty would be void because of the added PID which meant there was a chance that I'd have repairs to do at my cost if there were any problems. That said, the Silvia is a pretty reliable machine, so the chances of something going wrong might be slim.
I'm liking the idea of having some used and not used equipment. It might allow me to experiment with more tools for the budget I'm working with.
The search continues!
Thanks for posting!