Going to see a used Profitec 700

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Reefguy

Postby Reefguy » Feb 08, 2019, 9:39 pm

Hello all,
I'm going Sunday to view a 2 year old Profitec 700.
So far via pics machine looks fine, per seller he will demo it,
Pull a shot, view temps,
Looks like he has taken care of it, was de scaled in the summer.
Aside from the obvious, any tips anyone can offer?
I live not to far from a popular espresso machine retailer, which offers service, would anyone recommend a service?
Thanks in advance.

BaristaBoy E61

Postby BaristaBoy E61 » Feb 08, 2019, 10:57 pm

In addition to tasting a shot or two, I would have a look at the group with the screen removed and examine the screen as well for cleanliness on the back side. I would also want to see a cup of plain water pulled from the group and another one from the hot water spigot. This will allow you to see if there is anything objectionable in the water from either boiler. After it cooled, I would also want to taste just the plain water from the each boiler, as that might reveal objectionable tastes you wouldn't want in your espresso.

Operate the brew lever yourself to see the amount of resistance (stiffness) present. Examine the screen at the end of the Hot Water Wand for debris. Watch carefully the force of the hot water coming from the Hot Water spigot. Less than full force might indicate further descaling is required. Be sure that all the buttons on the PID are functional.

Good luck
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Reefguy

Postby Reefguy » Feb 08, 2019, 11:12 pm

Thank you, much appreciated.
If all checks out, any point in bringing it in for a service?

Radio.YYZ

Postby Radio.YYZ » Feb 08, 2019, 11:15 pm

Find out where it was purchased from, if it is IDC they do a 2 year warranty. See if it has the steam boiler pid upgrade or not. As baristaboy said have a shot, see what it tastes like, take your coffee and grinder with you if you want. Also see what the water looks like and ask what kinda water he was using. If its in toronto and he used tap water then it will be scaled inside and depending on how many shots they do a day it may have enough scale to warrant another descale.

Either way if it works well and have extra's like eric's thermometer and pid upgrade for steam boiler then it maybe a good buy (based on the price).

Good luck
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Reefguy

Postby Reefguy » Feb 08, 2019, 11:58 pm

Eric's thermometer not there, as I have pics.
The price is very good.
Thanks for the pointers.

Snoroqc

Postby Snoroqc » Feb 09, 2019, 12:16 pm

Reefguy wrote:Hello all,
I'm going Sunday to view a 2 year old Profitec 700.
So far via pics machine looks fine, per seller he will demo it,
Pull a shot, view temps,
Looks like he has taken care of it, was de scaled in the summer.
Aside from the obvious, any tips anyone can offer?
I live not to far from a popular espresso machine retailer, which offers service, would anyone recommend a service?
Thanks in advance.

With an Allen key, the top is really easy to remove. Look inside it. Try to adjust brew pressure if it not 9 bar. It's very easy with a screwdriver under the machine. Lot of video on YouTube. Check brew pressure with blind porta filter. How much he asked? I just bought a demo from idc for 2,5k.

Reefguy

Postby Reefguy » Feb 09, 2019, 2:00 pm

He sold it on me, he was at 1800.
I was just at idc as I live in Milton last week,
But I didn't see Demo or I would of grabbed it.
Next no tax sale per employee there is Easter weekend,
They wouldn't budge on price for 2018 profitec 700.

Radio.YYZ

Postby Radio.YYZ » replying to Reefguy » Feb 09, 2019, 9:19 pm

1800 for a profitec 700?!?! That sounds more like a Pro 500 pricing than 700 here in toronto/canada. Sounds something was a bit fishy.

Retail on the pro500 is 2300 and pro700 3600 and 3400 for 2018 version.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Reefguy

Postby Reefguy » Feb 09, 2019, 9:40 pm

That was the price for a 700, Kijiji ad,
But it didn't happen. Believe me I know retail,
No biggie, wasn't meant to be,