Gevi 2-in-1 grinder & pourover

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jasiano

#1: Post by jasiano »

Has anyone else come across the Gevi 2-in-1 grinder and pourover machine?

I have seen Gevi make other coffee stuff... not sure on their quality/reputation.
Looking at the specs (and the marketing video) on the IGG site, I wouldn't expect the grinder to be super brilliant but maybe 'good enough' for some basic pour overs?
TBH what got my interest was the automated pour over part... I don't mind doing that manually (I quite enjoy it) but I saw a Marco(?) automated brewer in a cafe recently and my brain decided I want something similar :D
-Jason

Down Under

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by sweaner »

Scott
LMWDP #248

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

They've been marketing it heavily. I've been pointed to it by "non-coffee" people now. sweaner, I merged your thread with another one on the same subject.

jasiano (original poster)

#4: Post by jasiano (original poster) »

yep. a LOT of marketing... it's how I came to see it, all the FB and insta sponsored ads are hard to avoid.

That video is.... interesting... can't say I'm ever convinced when someone is given a product to review before its release... IIRC the same guy put out a video questioning whether the Weber Key would be any good based on the burrs specs rather than any actual product usage... hmm..
-Jason

Down Under

Daniel_R

#5: Post by Daniel_R »

Hi,

There's a FB group where Gevi is answering some questions:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/819295572312142

Fabian is one of my favourite coffee youtubers. He has promised to do an espresso focused follow-up. The grinder and burrs are probably optimised for pour-over. It's a stepped grinder with 10 steps in the espresso range, so that might be a bit limiting.

My drink of choice is flat white but I'm looking to upgrade my Sette 270. If the grinder is on par with the NZ (shown in Gevi's marketing) for espresso, I would (of course) be interested. Also for the occasional pour-over and wife (so I can ditch the Nespresso).

Daniel

Jonk

#6: Post by Jonk »

If you mainly brew espresso, get an espresso focused grinder. Sounds like you actually want the Niche.

I would be tempted to buy the machine if they offered a standalone version without the grinder for those that already have and are happy with their grinder(s).

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Ten steps in the espresso range would not be enough for me. I find notable and valuable changes with half a mark on a Niche Zero (nominally 10 marks across the range I use for espresso).

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
jbviau
Supporter ★

#8: Post by jbviau »

Jonk wrote:I would be tempted to buy the machine if they offered a standalone version without the grinder for those that already have and are happy with their grinder(s).
+1. Oh, and if it weren't 17" tall, since I don't have that much clearance on my counter.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jasiano (original poster)

#9: Post by jasiano (original poster) »

Have been following Lance Hendrick's instagram the past few weeks when he's been playing with the Gevi, and he's just posted his (sort of) review of the pre-production model here on the tube.

My takeaway from it:
- if you like gadgets/automated brewing, this is a very nice option especially if you don't do big batch brews
- programmability is nuts especially at this price point
- the grinder is pretty good, even goes fine enough for espresso (but the lack of range is probably not great to dial in espresso); probably suited more for the filter/pourover. I wonder if it's roughly the same quality as the Fellow Ode...
- brew quality in the cup is good, not perfect.

I am probably going to signup on IGG for one.
-Jason

Down Under

Grahamsphillips

#10: Post by Grahamsphillips »

I decided to take a punt and ordered one ahead of the deadline... anyone else?