General Pourover Buying Advice

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
themusgrat

#1: Post by themusgrat »

Hello!

I have a question, mostly about pour-overs. I am home roasting on a behmor, and I'll admit, I am completely indiscerning when it comes to coffee. I'm just buying random greens from sweet marias, and having a blast. I never really drank coffee until about 2 years ago, so very new to this. All I know is that the stuff I brew is way better than anything at starbucks.

I'm getting a Kinu M47, so on the grinding front I should be set. I only use a french press, which I love, so shoot me.

But, I want to experiment with different brewing techniques once in a while. So in your opinion, if I'm going for a clean cup, what should I be getting? I'll need a cheap gooseneck, and a pourover/filter combo. I've been reading about Chemex, V60, Wave, and there's a C70 that looks very interesting, then apparent drama on V60 filters, etc.

Someone just put me out of my misery. It probably doesn't matter which I try, so just tell me what to get. Also I have no desire to spend a ton on a gooseneck, so if there's a cheap one, I'd love to go with that.

happycat

#2: Post by happycat replying to themusgrat »

I recently bought a bonavita PID which allows for setting temps (ie 93c for coffee default) but I see cheap knockoffs of it and of hario buonos with a thermometer in them on amazon.

I love my Kalita wave ... very sweet. But it is pricey. My wife bought me a ceramic cilio which I love too. Bonavita ceramic immersion is good too.

I don't do v60. I have a chemex but it worked best for me for light roasts. I use a stainless kone not the paper filters with it.

It's a great time for pour over... so many cheap knock off pour over sets on amazon these days if you want to save $$.
LMWDP #603

JayBeck

#3: Post by JayBeck »

If you want the cleanest cup possible get a Chemex and use their filters. It's the exact opposite of a French Press in terms of clarity vs body.

ryuemura

#4: Post by ryuemura »

If you're looking for a clean cup, definitely a Chemex due to its thicker filters. I personally like V60's I feel like I can get more out of it, versus my Kalita. Both are great options IMHO. Chemex is too clean for my liking, I like more body (mouthfeel), when I drink coffee.

The V60 will require more skill since there's no restriction whatsoever, it's less forgiving. When your technique is down, the results are exceptional, and vice versa when you're off.

The Kalita is a semi-restricted dripper, so it's much easier to get consistent results.

For the kettle, the Bonavita and Hario Buono are the classic styles and will work absolutely fine.

mckolit

#5: Post by mckolit »

themusgrat wrote:Someone just put me out of my misery. It probably doesn't matter which I try, so just tell me what to get. Also I have no desire to spend a ton on a gooseneck, so if there's a cheap one, I'd love to go with that.
If you want to go for a cheaper kettle, look up the Fino gooseneck kettle. Available on eBay. You didn't mention having a scale. If you don't have one, they're very handy when doing pourover. I recommend the cj-4000 scale for pourover. Fast reaction time.

themusgrat (original poster)

#6: Post by themusgrat (original poster) »

All good suggestions, and it helps a lot, thanks. Going to try to get a Fino gooseneck, and I think I'll go with the V60. Sounds like the Chemex would be too different, and I think getting a V60 will be a good experiment with a cleaner cup. Looking forward to it. I've had clean cups before, mostly bad coffee, but I'm not super interested in the cleanest cup possible.

Thanks!

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

You might also consider a Clever. Sort of somewhere between a pour-over and a french press. A lot less fiddly and easier to master than a V60.

Ira

Eastsideloco

#8: Post by Eastsideloco »

This is one of my favorite things to do with a press pot and a V60 cone:

http://www.coffeebos.com/step-by-step-p ... n-brewing/

For many coffees, I prefer the polished immersion cup over the straight press or filter.

maigre

#9: Post by maigre »

I do this a lot, too. It's easy and pretty reliable, though it can take a little longer than a straight pourover. James Hoffmann has a nice video showing a similar technique.

gimpy

#10: Post by gimpy »

I use three different methods for my coffee drinking:
1: the clever dripper,
2: French press,
3: AeroPress.

I've gotten to where I mostly use the clever dripper, as it makes the largest cup of the three. But, I do use all three. I use 320 grams in it vs 272 from the other two. Subtract about 40 grams from each one for the actual cup of coffee.

Both the clever and AP make a pretty clean cup. The FP does get some minor sludge, but not much.