Gaggia Classic Age?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
tag1260

Postby tag1260 » Jun 14, 2019, 3:40 pm

Looking at a Gaggia Classic and I've not seen any pictures of one with the black printed logo on the front, not a name badge. Can anyone give me an idea of the age?

Thanks

tracer bullet

Postby tracer bullet » Jun 15, 2019, 9:32 am

The one's I've had my hands on have stickers indicating their manufacture date. Maybe take a look at that, or ask the seller to do so? I'm guessing you are talking about a used one.

I've also sort of found their real age is measured more in espressos made (and how hard the water supply used) and not so much years since built. Either way be prepared to replace the large group head gasket, and at least to take a look under the shower screen to do some cleaning.

JR_Germantown

Postby JR_Germantown » Jun 15, 2019, 10:18 am

Sorry, where's the picture? If you attached one, I can't see it.

Jack

tag1260

Postby tag1260 » Jun 15, 2019, 10:53 am

No picture handy but theres no bottom sticker. Trying to get a version I guess instead of actual age. It has black lettering of Classic Gaggia on the front instead of a name plaque like the new ones.

JR_Germantown

Postby JR_Germantown » replying to tag1260 » Jun 15, 2019, 11:48 am

A picture would help a lot. But regardless, I don't see how a Classic could be really old. As far as I know, the Classic didn't appear until they downgraded the Coffee sometime in the 1990s (?). The new Coffee was a complete redesign, without the 3-way solenoid valve. And the Classic, although also a complete redesign, had the 3-way solenoid valve. Both the Classic and the "new" Coffee had smaller boilers than the original Coffee.

Jack

tag1260

Postby tag1260 » Jun 15, 2019, 2:27 pm

Found a picture of what I'm talking about. Looks like it's a pre-2009 model. It needs cleaned and adjusted but that's nothing I can do unless there's a hidden problem. Works but it's slow.

How are the early ones like that?

tracer bullet

Postby tracer bullet » Jun 15, 2019, 5:17 pm

How are they like what?

Slow? Shouldn't be. Could be a bad pump, or clogged with scale, or of course your grind too fine.

SJM

Postby SJM » Jun 15, 2019, 5:23 pm

tag1260 wrote:Found a picture of what I'm talking about. Looks like it's a pre-2009 model. It needs cleaned and adjusted but that's nothing I can do unless there's a hidden problem. Works but it's slow.

How are the early ones like that?

Sorry, but I need a translation of your post.
Do you mean "it needs to be cleaned and adjusted"? And do mean "that's not something I can do"? Or do you mean "that's something I can do unless there's a hidden problem"???

Really, proofreading your own post would make it easier for us to be helpful.

And, like the previous poster said, you would really have to explain what you mean by "it's slow".

tag1260

Postby tag1260 » Jun 15, 2019, 9:36 pm

Sorry. Mean't that it's nothing that I can't do. I'll pull it apart and clean it when I get it and start from there.

SJM

Postby SJM » Jun 15, 2019, 10:18 pm

Excellent.
When you are cleaning internal parts, pay attention to the adjustable OPV and to the 3-way solenoid.
They often accumulate scale which may not be noticed on a first go around.
Might as well get them clean and shiny at the get go.