Future prices of espresso equipment

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.

Where are the prices of espresso equipment going?

Rising faster than other consumer goods
50%
Same as other consumer goods
17%
Slower than other consumer goods
4%
No idea
27%
Other (explain)
2%

Total votes: 48

HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

Today I read an article in one of those financial newsletters about the US exchange rate:
The U.S. dollar fell to a record low against the euro for the third straight trading session as investors, concerned with the outlook for the U.S. economy, price in further policy easing from the Federal Reserve... Lower interest rates [are expected to] dampen the appeal of dollar-denominated assets among global investors.
Most of the HX espresso machines reviewed on this site sell for $1200-$1600, a sizeable chunk of change. With the increase in fuel costs and raw materials like steel and copper, I wonder if the prices will rise faster than other consumer goods or will manufacturers be forced to make compromises to stay within a certain price point (e.g., lower quality components, lower grade steel, more plastic, etc.).

What do you think the future holds for espresso equipment prices?
Dan Kehn

darrylr

#2: Post by darrylr »

Commodity price increases will affect most appliance categories the same. What will cause espresso equip to rise in price faster than many other categories is the falling dollar. Most of the machines are imported.

Darryl

Advertisement
terrakeramik

#3: Post by terrakeramik »

We would expect the weak US dollar vs. Euro and other foreign currencies to have an impact not only on espresso machines, but also espresso gear imported from Europe (tampers, pitchers, cups, etc.). From a low of 0.85 in early 2001 to a high of 1.35 now, the Euro has strengthened by 60%! vs. the US dollar. Even in the past year, the Euro has advanced from 1.15 to 1.35, which is still a 17% increase. Manufacturers will be unable to hold prices (unless they reduce cost of components, which may be possible with espresso machines, but not with some of the espresso gear).

Jacob

#4: Post by Jacob »

You should consider shipping overseas :wink:

HB (original poster)
Admin

#5: Post by HB (original poster) »

terrakeramik wrote:Manufacturers will be unable to hold prices (unless they reduce cost of components, which may be possible with espresso machines, but not with some of the espresso gear).
Good point. I've noticed tamper price increases too. Some premium priced tampers go for $70 and up (e.g., Coffeelab Design, Espro, Espressocraft). At one time Reg Barber tampers were considered pricey, now they're midrange!
Dan Kehn

chriscoffee
Sponsor

#6: Post by chriscoffee »

terrakeramik wrote:Even in the past year, the Euro has advanced from 1.15 to 1.35, which is still a 17% increase.
The Euro was at 1.415 yesterday, an all time high. The day of 1.35 has been history for several months.
Chris Nachtrieb
Pres. Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

terrakeramik

#7: Post by terrakeramik »

chris wrote:The Euro was at 1.415 yesterday, an all time high. The day of 1.35 has been history for several months.
Actually, the Euro exchange rate was 1.3580 on September 4, 2007 (3 weeks ago) according to the European Central Bank.

Advertisement
chriscoffee
Sponsor

#8: Post by chriscoffee »

Thanks for that link, that is a real nice site to view currency exchange rates. I knew it was out of control I just brought in 450,000 Euros worth of equipment and the best rate I was able to lock in was 1.393. It was pretty hard to swallow and in the past week it broke 1.4.
Chris Nachtrieb
Pres. Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#9: Post by HB (original poster) »

terrakeramik wrote:Actually, the Euro exchange rate was 1.3580 on September 4, 2007 (3 weeks ago) according to the European Central Bank.
Thanks for the link, that site has a very slick user interface for graphing exchange rates:

USD vs. Euro: The journey from parity to paltry
Dan Kehn

terrakeramik

#10: Post by terrakeramik »

chris wrote:It was pretty hard to swallow and in the past week it broke 1.4.
Chris, we totally sympathize as we are importers of Swiss espresso gear and have seen the Swiss franc appreciate vs. the US dollar and we are trying to hold prices heading into the year end holiday season, but as you said it is tough.