Fuji Royal R-440 vs Yang Chia 207 N

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
wearashirt

#1: Post by wearashirt »

Hello all!

Shooting the moon with this question.

Can anyone provide a comparison between Fuji Royal R-440 and Yang Chia 207 N?

This is what i know so far.

1. They're both about 30% bigger (and taller) than the Kalita Nice Cut Mill, as well as the Flying Horse models.
2. If you watched A Film About Coffee, Daibo's coffee grinder was a Fuji Royal R-440
3. A local "informal importer" here has the Yang Chia at about the same price as the Fuji Royal R-440 from the amazon.jp website.

What I don't know is if the Yang Chia 207 N has crushing or ghost-teeth burrs. I'm currently gunning for this type of burrs.

There are some HB threads, but are quite old.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by hankua »

Flying Horse and Yang-Chia are the same thing. Flying Eagle is You-Wei Co., Ltd and has a similar line of grinders; I've got the mid-size CM-520 with ghost burrs. It's more of a bulk shop grinder than single doser and very messy. They have an upgraded version with what appears to be a very nice set of machined burrs, similar to a Ditting. Possible Flying Horse has something related in their top of the line machine.

http://www.you-wei.com/e/e-product01.htm

The Fuji R-220 is the one everything else (in this style) gets compared to. Yang-Chia has a new model 610N that sells for considerably less than the little Fuji. For single cup use one of these would be my choice over the larger "flying horse/eagle" grinders.

wearashirt (original poster)

#3: Post by wearashirt (original poster) »

hankua wrote:Flying Horse and Yang-Chia are the same thing. Flying Eagle is You-Wei Co., Ltd and has a similar line of grinders; I've got the mid-size CM-520 with ghost burrs.
I'm currently wanting to eliminate the envy of Japanese quality which is farther to import for me than Taiwan. How would you say grind uniformity is on your CM 520?

I already DO have the Flying Horse 600N. The teethed-plastic ring inside the knob has just broken. Aside from that, about 40-50% of my weight are fines which is terrible, but managable. So I'm looking to get something of higher quality than this.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by hankua »

CM-520 grind uniformity is excellent; and machine price reasonable. No fan inside the motor case, it does heat up after 4-5 min. run time. Exit path is fairly large and short, maybe some sort of mod extension square to round might help for single cup grinding?

The 610n looks to have a hybrid type of burr set, it's an upgraded model.
Here's a photo.

#5: Post by wearashirt (original poster) »

hankua wrote:CM-520 grind uniformity is excellent; and machine price reasonable. No fan inside the motor case, it does heat up after 4-5 min. run time. Exit path is fairly large and short, maybe some sort of mod extension square to round might help for single cup grinding?

Here's a photo.
<image>
Another question. Can the ghost burrs grind a fine-style of filter coffee? (For me, Aeropress, cold brew).

I think the 610N burrs are kept hybrid so they can keep the espresso market (if any). But if ghost burrs can beat these hybrid burrs for filter coffees, I'll choose the former instead.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by hankua »

Funny, I'm going to eat my own words; go figure. :shock:
Yes the CM-520 will grind for single dose; I used urine/sample cups for a test. At the finest setting (1), it's not near enough to espresso fine. I use 5-6 (filter), plenty of adjustment with the half notches. The burrs are the traditional ghost style, machine sharpened along several rows.
wearashirt wrote:Another question. Can the ghost burrs grind a fine-style of filter coffee? (For me, Aeropress, cold brew
Should be OK.

I have a Tanzenia on my bench; here's a comparison between the two. Tanzenia on the left, Flying Eagle CM-520 on the right set on 5.

#7: Post by wearashirt (original poster) »

hankua wrote: I have a Tanzenia on my bench; here's a comparison between the two. Tanzenia on the left, Flying Eagle CM-520 on the right set on 5.
<image>
That's amazing! And thank you for your generous demonstration of these two grinders. :) You've made this thread very valuable.

And of course, particle size distribution narrows together with finer settings, right?

In my 600N flying horse, I can notch the burrs together so close as to produce clumpy grinds. Just tried it once. :) I would grind a notch coarser for cold brew. :)

#8: Post by wearashirt (original poster) »

hankua wrote:CM-520 grind uniformity is excellent; and machine price reasonable. No fan inside the motor case, it does heat up after 4-5 min. run time. Exit path is fairly large and short, maybe some sort of mod extension square to round might help for single cup grinding?

Here's a photo.
<image>
Here's a photo of the Yang Chia 207 N burrs, sent by a representative through email. Looks promising?

The 207 N is 54 cm high, while the CM-520 is 52 cm high. I think these tall filter coffee grinders would make a nice imposition in the cafe, rather than the diminuitive 30+cm little brother.

I will always dream of having a Fuji Royal though! But this needs to suffice for the time being.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by hankua »

Here's the burrs from the similar You-Wei Flying Eagle CM-520