Flow Control vs Spring Lever - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jgood

#11: Post by jgood »

Did you get the ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva yet? If so, how's it going?

The Bone Ranger

#12: Post by The Bone Ranger »

When upgrading from my Gaggia classic, I was thinking along similar lines as the OP. Lelit Bianca w/flow control, or stretch to a Londinium R24.

Ultimately, I went R24, largely because it would be simpler for my wife to make great coffee when I'm not around. Once it's dialled in, it's pull lever, wait for drips, release lever, take cup out of the way when you're ready.

The spinning of the E61 flow control device just didn't fill me with the same joy, and I felt like it would be trickier to repeat the process each time, let alone teach it to someone else.

Advertisement
corffee_beanz (original poster)

#13: Post by corffee_beanz (original poster) »

How's the R24 treating you so far? Any regrets?

Definitely sounds like there is none, and it seems like 90% of owners are extremely happy with it. However, I don't know if common issues are behind the closed londinium forum. Every time I think I've made a decision I flip back to the other machine.

Sure we've all been there before :wink:

Primacog

#14: Post by Primacog »

spressomon wrote:Flow control is just another tool in the tool box. Having said that, I love my Slayer...having come from a Londinium LI as my primary machine with a couple other levers thrown in the mix over the years. Many lever fanatics talk about the simplicity, reliability and low maintenance from a lever machine; hasn't been my experience.

So for me, given the two choices you presented, I'd take the Bianca. But, I'm not an e61 fan...I suggest looking at the LM Linea Micra (based upon the reviews I've read as I don't have direct experience using one) for another choice.

I have made incredibly tasty espresso from all my espresso making machines/devices as well as some of the worst tasting espresso. Some of the most notably tasty shots came from a well tuned old-school La Marzocco Linea Classic by an experienced barista who thoroughly knew his way around it.
You have a great machine - the slayer is one of very very few pump machines that may stand on the same ldvel for me as a spring lever.

What issues did you have with your levers? I had a izzo pompei for more than a decade before the nurri that i replaced it with, and it performed like a champ every day and was as tough as a rock. It never gave maintenance issue whatsoever and was totally reliable. If it werr not for me shifting to light and medium roasts much more, i would not have sold it. As for simplicity, nothing is as simple and quiet as a classic spring lever like the pompei. By contrast, I have heard that the slayer for example can be finicky maintenance wise.
LMWDP #729

Primacog

#15: Post by Primacog »

corffee_beanz wrote:How's the R24 treating you so far? Any regrets?

Definitely sounds like there is none, and it seems like 90% of owners are extremely happy with it. However, I don't know if common issues are behind the closed londinium forum. Every time I think I've made a decision I flip back to the other machine.

Sure we've all been there before :wink:
If you are concerned about what owners really think, you could consider the Nurri l-type sa spring lever as well. There have been plenty of posts by owners on it. Whike it is more expensive than the r24, the Nurri can do everything a R24 can do and considerably more besides. It is also completely temperature stable and able to be set as to both temp (for grouphead, brew boiler and steam boiler independently) and pressure independently with its 3 channel PID along with having a solenoid valve-like release valve to terminate the shot on demand and the ability to change preinfusion pressure from 0 to 9 bar on the fly with its on board rotary pump. It also has the renowned La San Marco type grouphead which is the most populae lever grouphead type in Naples where it is made. Looks wise it has a very striking contemporary design that was good enough to win listing in the 2022 compasso d'oro industrial design competition by ADI for all made in Italy products.
LMWDP #729

#16: Post by corffee_beanz (original poster) »

I dont need it, i dont need it

Although if I were looking at 54mm group head id probably go Vostok. I'd prefer 58 mm just on accessory availability after having had a 54 mm for my first machine

Primacog

#17: Post by Primacog replying to corffee_beanz »

LOL as the borg liked to say "prepare to be asimilated!" :D

The upcoming Vostok is indeed another good option based on its advertised features which have a lot in common with what the nurri does, whereby it is according to a different philosophy whereby the nurri is about manual hands on operation through tbe paddles while the vostok provides programmability. The vostok is also more suitable if you prefer to maintain and repair it yourself due to its direct from manufacturer selling model.

Both machines are alkng with the vesuvius evo the onpy ones available hybrid levers currently and they are all in the same 54mm grouphead. Personally i dont allow accessories to determine my choice of machine becsuse the accessories are meant to serve the machine, not the ither way around. I still have an e61 machine and have duplicated almost all of my accessories in 54mm and 58mm sizes as a result. But YMMV!
LMWDP #729

Advertisement
The Bone Ranger

#18: Post by The Bone Ranger »

corffee_beanz wrote:How's the R24 treating you so far? Any regrets?
6 months ownership, no regrets. Tasty coffee, simple maintenance, a joy to use each day.

#19: Post by corffee_beanz (original poster) »

That seems to be the general consensus. Thanks for sharing!

Todd+

#20: Post by Todd+ »

Is the Argos on your radar? I just ordered one. For me it checks off all the boxes I'm looking for from something like the Bianca (or even pricier machines), but at a fraction of the price.