Flow control maintenance - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Castillo2001

#11: Post by Castillo2001 »

What are you actually lubing on the flow control mushroom? I understand what to lube on the brew lever, but not sure where to apply the lube on the flow control device. Are you taking the mushroom out and then taking it apart to lube? Sorry but I am having a hard time visualizing where exactly you are applying the lube.

jrham12

#12: Post by jrham12 replying to Castillo2001 »

When you remove the flow control device it will look like this:
(photo of a device from coffee sensor)

You unscrew the mushroom part from the upper cap and inside you'll find a couple o-rings on the rotating stem that will need to be lubricated and eventually replaced...

Josh

Advertisement
GreenEggsAndSam

#13: Post by GreenEggsAndSam »

Here's a photo of a Flow Control Device as it is disassembled, along with an indication of the o-rings you need to lubricate. Over time, it can gum up and requires cleaning and relubrication regularly.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Nunas »

My ECM FC kit started to leak at the shaft. I was unable to take it apart. The vendor says that "special tools are needed." It does not come with replacement seals. My guess is it's locked in place with Loctite, as I could not get it to budge even with big wrenches and a vice, and I did some superficial damage trying. I replaced it with a Coffee Sensor brand. It looks identical but comes with replacement O-rings. I have not yet had a leak, felt the need to lube it, and have not yet attempted to take it apart yet. Also, the ECM gauge went out of calibration and won't return to the zero pin. I suspect the Coffee sensor gauge is the opposite; that is, it sits too hard against the pin and I think it comes up about a bar short of actual, based on watching my pump gauge from experience. The answer to the question posed by the OP is "Yes, I found that there's more maintenance with an FC". That said, I'm glad I have one on my Synchronika.

Castillo2001

#15: Post by Castillo2001 »

Thanks, I kind of assumed that is what you were talking about, but definitely wanted confirmation before I started taking things apart.

Amberale

#16: Post by Amberale »

bobkat (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by bobkat (original poster) »

Josh and Sam...thank you for the pics...that really helps to understand things better. Does anyone have an idea why Nunas/Maurice had difficulty in taking the ECM flow control apart? Is that normal? Have others had this problem?

Advertisement
Pressino
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Pressino »

Nunas wrote:My ECM FC kit started to leak at the shaft. I was unable to take it apart. The vendor says that "special tools are needed." It does not come with replacement seals. My guess is it's locked in place with Loctite, as I could not get it to budge even with big wrenches and a vice, and I did some superficial damage trying...
The ECM FCD is different from the one shown in the video clip and different from the one shown in post #13. It should look like the one in post #12. To get at the needle/spring/valve seat (the jet equivalent) you need to unscrew the mushroom. For that you need to get a thin spanner or adjustable wrench into the slot on the mushroom and get a larger spanner (36mm if I recall correctly) or larger adjustable wrench over the mushroom nut. Then twist the wrenches anticlockwise (they are standard and not reverse threaded) and it should come apart easily. I believe there are two (not three) o-rings on the ECM FCD needle stem.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Nunas »

Pressino wrote:For that you need to get a thin spanner or adjustable wrench into the slot on the mushroom and get a larger spanner (36mm if I recall correctly) or larger adjustable wrench over the mushroom nut. Then twist the wrenches anticlockwise (they are standard and not reverse threaded) and it should come apart easily. I believe there are two (not three) o-rings on the ECM FCD needle stem.
Of course, that's how one would think it comes apart. And, that's how I attempted it. I remain convinced that they used Loctite, as It will not budge. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has not been able to take apart their ECM FC device, or if anyone has succeeded.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Pressino replying to Nunas »

I described the method I used to take it apart...My ECM FCD was installed on the Pro-700 I bought from WLL. I assume it is the same as the one they install on the other ECM machines, but I could be wrong. If yours looks like the one in post #12, it should come apart as I described. Mine didn't have any loctite visible on the threads. If there is loctite on yours there are ways to loosen it depending on what loctite was used, as I'm sure you know.
Good luck!