Flat burr grinder, not 98mm

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Elliot

#1: Post by Elliot »

I've had some good grinders in my time, ranging from the Niche to a Monolith MAX and now an MC5.

I'd like to give flats another try, but don't want to go all the way to 98mm. Something that's a bit closer to an all-arounder. Lagom P64 seems interesting, as do a few others, but looking for the masses to weigh in.

- No significant budget constraints (not buying a Titus, but I've had two Kafatek's, so)

- Flat

- Single dose

- Decent workflow

And.... Go.

Oh, if useful:

Specht LMLM w/ EMP Mod. No dark roasts, but some medium.

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

Elliot wrote:- No significant budget constraints
Have you considered the Weber SG-1?
:lol:
LMWDP #704

Shenrei

#3: Post by Shenrei »

Top all-rounder burrs to me not 98mm are:

SSP CastV2 64
Mythos 75
SLM 75
And, based on word of mouth EG-1 Core.

Edit: The Bentwood should also be in consideration.

I've tried the top 3 and they are all good, but my favorite is SLM 75. It can do dark roasts well, it can do light roasts well. Filter is also great. Has a very unique mouthfeel texture. Very very forgiving, and can pull long or short with any roast. Longer shots will need lower pressure obv.

Mythos is the dark Italian roast king (IMO). Good all rounder. Will need to pull longer for very light roasts. This burr taste-wise is quite similar to Ode Gen2, but espresso capable.

SSP CastV264 is similar to Mythos. Slighly more clarity, but with rounded edges while Mythos remains sharp.
- Tim

Elliot (original poster)

#4: Post by Elliot (original poster) »

Thanks! Had the SLM burrs in my MAX, but felt like it was harder to just get consistently good shots.
All my best shots in years and years of drinking came off that grinder. Just not as often as I want.
Was thinking EG1 perhaps would be the way to go. Don't love the size and aesthetic, but I'm sure I could get by that. Staying in the family with the Monolith Flat has also been on my mind.

Shenrei

#5: Post by Shenrei »

MAX SLM burrs should be inherently forgiving, so maybe a different approach is needed? I don't think purchasing another grinder will improve good shot consistency if you're having issues with the MAX.
- Tim

EvanOz85

#6: Post by EvanOz85 replying to Shenrei »

Gonna have to agree with Shenrei. MAX SLM is the most forgiving and consistent grinder I've ever used for espresso. I don't think you're going to be able to fix whatever issue you seem to be having by choosing something smaller.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by buckersss »

Shenrei wrote: Mythos is the dark Italian roast king (IMO). Good all rounder. Will need to pull longer for very light roasts. This burr taste-wise is quite similar to Ode Gen2, but espresso capable.

SSP CastV264 is similar to Mythos. Slighly more clarity, but with rounded edges while Mythos remains sharp.
I have an atom pro and dropped in mythos burrs for a while. The mythos burrs are also talked about in the 98mm brew burrs thread. I did not enjoy the mythos burrs. I didn't find them very smooth. I found them a bit harsh. They were a little punchy which may appeal to some.

Itd be interesting to see how the SSP 75mm stack up against the SLM 75. While I don't like the eureka adjustment knob, you could get an olympus 75 for 350 euro at the moment, and then grab SSP burrs. This is the 110v version, you'll have to suck up shipping costs tho. There have also been a few iterations of the 75mm SSP and I'm not sure what is what now.

https://30.coffee/eureka-olympus-75