Flair Pro 2 vs. Cafelat Robot vs. ROK GC - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Halfrican2004 (original poster)

#31: Post by Halfrican2004 (original poster) »

GregoryJ wrote:It looks like it comes with a nice tamper already. I'd hold off on the distributor for a while and just try it as is. It's easy to start chasing too many steps and variables when you start out, and it's good to keep it simple.
OK. I'll do that, thanks for the advice!

#32: Post by Halfrican2004 (original poster) »

Bluenoser wrote:Yes.. the tamper with the Flair v2 is good.. and I'd just use something like a latte art pen or a thick needle to stir the grounds.
OK! Thank you for the help.

#33: Post by Halfrican2004 (original poster) »

Out of curiosity, what would be an electric grinder to pair with the Flair Pro?

Urupackers

#34: Post by Urupackers replying to Halfrican2004 »

Your are going to pull fantastic shots with the Flair Pro 2.
I see some Flair owners with a Niche Zero and others with the Baratza Sette 270, probably the more economic option is the Sette 270 for espresso.
You have a dedicated group for the Flair in Facebook, Brew with Flair, with a lot of videos, tips and really good people if you want to join and ask there too.
★ Helpful

Bluenoser

#35: Post by Bluenoser replying to Urupackers »

I have a Baratza 270.. great grinds, but is not built to last 5 years.. They have a plastic gear train Some have died in only 2 years.. .. so while you can get it replaced.. I'd want something to last longer.. I'd go with the Niche Z or something similar. I think brand new the Niche is the best value for a conical right now; (from what I read)

#36: Post by Halfrican2004 (original poster) »

Urupackers wrote:Your are going to pull fantastic shots with the Flair Pro 2.
I see some Flair owners with a Niche Zero and others with the Baratza Sette 270, probably the more economic option is the Sette 270 for espresso.
You have a dedicated group for the Flair in Facebook, Brew with Flair, with a lot of videos, tips and really good people if you want to join and ask there too.
Just out of curiosity, why are really good grinders so expensive?

Urupackers

#37: Post by Urupackers replying to Halfrican2004 »

Honestly, I don't know. Probably the quality of the burrs and adjustment have something to be with this, the adjustment of this espresso oriented grinders are really tight, every click move the burrs 10 microns, this is a 10th part of a milimeter, this need to be really precise, and probably is one of the parts that increase the cost.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by Brewzologist »

Pete; Congrats on your decision. I think you'll be pleased with the PRO 2. Search the Levers forum here on HB for PRO 2 reviews and usage tips which will be invaluable to get started. Also recommend you join the Flair group on Facebook too.

1) I use a Niche Zero electric grinder and a Lido ET hand grinder with the PRO 2 and both work very well with it. Yes, good electric grinders are expensive due to burr sets and precise manufacturing needed. Especially for the espresso method, you need a good grinder or you will be frustrated trying to get a good shot. If budget is a factor right now, I strongly suggest you get a good espresso hand grinder vs a so-so electric grinder.

2) Re: Tampers, distribution sets, etc.. I recommend you wait on purchasing anything for a bit. The PRO 2 comes with a good tamper. Explore RDT, WDT, various tamping techniques, preinfusion, etc. first. In the end all I am using besides what came with the kit is a $3.99 dissecting needle for WDT.

Expect some initial frustrations but stick with it. This is true with the Flair or even multi-thousand dollar machines. Get GOOD coffee as freshly roasted beans will make a big difference. Go buy 1-2lbs and be prepared to throw a lot of shots away as you dial-in your technique. Post questions if you need help.

#39: Post by Halfrican2004 (original poster) replying to Brewzologist »

Thanks! Where is everyone getting their beans? I'm fairly rural, so local stores aren't really going to be an easy option for me. Online retailer suggestions?

Jeff
Team HB

#40: Post by Jeff replying to Halfrican2004 »

A harder question to answer than "What machine should I buy?" in many ways. Now it's not just opinion, but broad differences in taste!

There are some great threads in the Coffees sub-forum. You might want to start with some of the threads around most popular "comfort" blends or "easy" blends. The top-roasters thread has a lot of great roasters in it as well, though some of them specialize in light roasts rather than espresso blends. Mail order isn't a big problem as many coffees should sit several days or a week or so before trying them for espresso. I try to order on the weekend so I'll get Monday or Tuesday roast generally arriving in California on or before Saturday (from roasters in MA and PA).

There are some very good East Coast roasters, including a few in North Carolina.