First Time Buyer Espresso Machine - Page 2

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
EstoCuppo

Postby EstoCuppo » Jun 06, 2018, 9:35 pm

Eastsideloco wrote:If you're just drinking lattes you don't need to spend $6k to be happy.

Yup. I agree. I do enjoy the process and making a latte/espresso is a pleasure, more so when I'm drinking it and enjoying it, it's like meditation for me. Also, will probably do the occasional experimentation and exploration.

I guess the question is, I'm trying to see what machine + grinder combo I can get to get consistent results and get that Blue Bottle flavor within budget.

Initially, I thought it was a Linea Mini + Lux D since it's comes packaged and the Blue Bottle I go to uses La Marzocco's. But trying to see what people think here so I can either, save money, or get a better combination.

So currently, looking at HG-1 + [INSERT MACHINE HERE]. So price is currently at $1000 + [MACHINE PRICE]

Eastsideloco

Postby Eastsideloco » Jun 06, 2018, 9:56 pm

This is a reasonable place to start looking:

https://clivecoffee.com/collections/espresso-machines

There are a lot of good machines to choose from once you hit that $1,500+ price point. The German-made Profitec 300 is a double-boiler, should have good steam power.

If you want to go the manual lever route, you could get a Londinium from the UK. Or see what's available in closer to home that is comparable.

You can search the forum here to find user feedback on any model or maker.

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Jun 06, 2018, 10:04 pm

This place amazes me sometimes. You want sweet syrupy chocolately blue-bottle style shots for your lattes and people here have you buying a hand grinder and a lever machine!

My opinion, I would never want a hand grinder. You have enough loot that you can easily get a motor to do that work for you. Sure, you wont be able to buy the zero-retetion, single dosing grinder of someone else's dreams, but that is not really what you need to acheive your stated goal.

Do you want something that you can futz with and tinker with and tweak endlessly? Do you want something that can bring out the delicate origion flavors of today's trendiest barely roasted beans that all your frends will call sour? Or do you wanna walk up to a machine that is preheated, tare your portafilter on a scale, put it in your grinder push the double dose button, have it grind 20g into the portafilter, check it on the scale, tamp, lock, load and pull the chocolate bomb shot?

My advice, you are on the west coast. Call Clive Coffee and have a long conversation with them about your goals, needs and means. I don't work for them and I haven't bought from them, but I have heard that they go to great lengths to make sure that their customers get what they need to acheive their goals. Spend a bunch of time on the phone with them and make sure you are honest with your goals.

Barring that, i would aso not get the Lux D. It doesn't seem to have a timed grind feature. That is the thing that lets you set how long the grinder runs to get a single or doulbe dose in your portafilter.

Watch all these:

/newbie-introduction-to-espresso.html

EstoCuppo

Postby EstoCuppo » Jun 06, 2018, 10:42 pm

lancealot wrote:This place amazes me sometimes. You want sweet syrupy chocolately blue-bottle style shots for your lattes and people here have you buying a hand grinder and a lever machine!

Thanks for keeping us in check and taking us back to reality.

lancealot wrote:Or do you wanna walk up to a machine that is preheated, tare your portafilter on a scale, put it in your grinder push the double dose button, have it grind 20g into the portafilter, check it on the scale, tamp, lock, load and pull the chocolate bomb shot?

Yup. That's me. I enjoy the process but doesn't mean I like waiting for 20-30 min for that boiler to warm up.

lancealot wrote:Barring that, i would aso not get the Lux D. It doesn't seem to have a timed grind feature. That is the thing that lets you set how long the grinder runs to get a single or doulbe dose in your portafilter.

I thought that's why you have the weighing scale? If you don't have a timed grind, at least you can measure weight so shot is always the same? I went with the Lux D since La Marzocco had a promo right now that costs 5700 with a LMLM + Lux D and other barista accessories etc.

Eastsideloco

Postby Eastsideloco » Jun 06, 2018, 10:54 pm

Congrats. That's a beautiful starter kit.

Look around to see if anyone local has barista trainings. That will grease your progress along the learning curve.

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Jun 06, 2018, 10:59 pm

I am sure youll be stoked. Congrats!

For me taring the portafilter then checking the weight after the grinder dispenses the timed dose is like a double check. My grinder is almost always on point or within .3g of the intended dose. I am sure youll develop the compentency to get close but i am glad that i dont have to worry about it. I can think about something else while the grinder keeps the time for me.

To each their own and i am sure that there are people who are great with manual dosing grinders like the Lux D. I had the choice to get a manual dosing version of my grinder a year ago when i bought it, but i decided to spend the extra $200 for the electronic timed dosing. At the time i could not beleive that i was considering buying something for almost $800 that only ground coffee! A year later, i am SO glad i spent the extra$ for electronic dosing.

I wonder if you called them if they could get you into a super jolly electronic with a short hopper for just a few dollars more. If not, or if you arent into that i wouldnt think too much about it, your new set upis gonna be dope!

I dont mean to scare you off but rather to share my experience. It sounds like you want it easy and good. The setup you just bought will acheive both of those for sure! Electronic dosing will just make it a tad bit easier IMHO.

EstoCuppo

Postby EstoCuppo » Jun 07, 2018, 12:12 am

Sorry I think it came across that I made the purchase already. I haven't yet but that's the pick right now.

So what would be the closest alternative to that setup? More cost effective?

spressomon

Postby spressomon » Jun 07, 2018, 9:37 am

There are so many input variables to consider related to equipment choices. Having said that, given my 2 decade immersion into espresso making, I can say I would NOT want to give up what my Slayer gives me all things taste explosion in the cup for medium to light roasts (pre-brew/pre-infusion related).

This machine certainly appears to be worthy of a more serious look/consideration for a relatively modest budget: Pre-order this game changer home espresso machine...

Coupled with a Sette it gets you a very versatile set-up. Add a Monolith Flat downstream and you would be likely "set" for a long time.
No Espresso = Depresso

Brother_Bluto

Postby Brother_Bluto » Jun 13, 2018, 10:57 pm

Go with the advice about calling Clive Coffee. You've got a budget that will allow pretty much anything you want to do and they will get you dialed in. For me... I wanted a dual-boiler PID rotary pump machine and really liked the idea of the levers versus knobs. Came down to the Clive's Lucca (Quickmill) M58 or the ECM Synchronika. Went with the later as I felt the construction and internal layout was better and the wife really liked the Anthracite version (from WLL). We paired it with a black Rocket Fausto Grinder and couldn't be happier for what we are using it for

FotonDrv

Postby FotonDrv » Jun 15, 2018, 10:48 pm

Grinder, grinder, grinder... Get a Monolith Flat for the grinder (HG1 is a conical but it is nice if you like the hand crank) but for the espresso machine the sky is the limit, other than the $6K you want to spend. A double boiler will give you a more stable brew temperature, especially when you are steaming milk AND brewing.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train