First pictures and impression of DiFluid Microbalance

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ira
Team HB

#1: Post by ira »

More later as I need to leave.

I noticed an email from Piggyship claiming I had a package on my porch and I should hurry and get it. I did and there was a box, in it, very well packed was the package. Packaging at the level of Acaia and opening it up reveals a scale that at first glance could easily be from Acaia. Right now it's charging and I've only turned it on to take the picture. It is not usable while charging. which doesn't matter but is.

First impression is it's very high quality, it's heavy, and it feels really nice. If it works as good as it looks, it will be a contender for the preferred coffee scale. It's got Bluetooth and an app, hopefully a high quality app. Anyway I need to leave but more when I get home.

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Which of the 3-scales are you referring to; the one on the right?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

It is the middle one, and it is $79.00
I have contacted them asking if it will be able to be used with the Decent.
See it HERE.
It does not look waterproof- the 'seam' along the outer edge is suspicious and the website has very little information.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

ira (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by ira (original poster) »

I believe it's waterproof, it seems to be assembled exactly the same as the Pearl and Lunar it's sandwiched between. I've only played with it for a couple of minutes, but first impression was if it said Acaia instead of DiFluid I would not have felt Acaia was abandoning the standards.

loscorrales

#5: Post by loscorrales »

More pics

I purchased it because felicita parallel plus is absurde big for my pour overs.

I'm waiting now to the official app release , hope it will be ready in xmash for android

espressosnob_LT

#6: Post by espressosnob_LT »

Will it connect with the Decent ?

ira (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by ira (original poster) »

It will not currently connect to the Decent. I pulled out my 100gm Acaia weight and the Pearl says 99.9, the Lunar says 99.83 and the Di says 100.0. I'll let them sit for a while turned on and see what happens. Bot Acaia scales are ones that were shipped before general availability and have not been calibrated since they left the factory so that tiny bit out of calibration is probably not surprising. It comes with a lovely rubber mat that when turned over will help support a portafilter. It has a built in timer and what I think is a flow rate display, but that's a guess as it only reads nonzero when the weight is changing. The app does not yet seem to be available in either the app store or play store.

ira (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by ira (original poster) »

I used it for the first time this morning to measure coffee and then later use a kettle to slowly pour water as if I was doing a pour over. My impression is it's at least as fast as a Lunar in responding to weight changes. I tared them both and then poured in 17 grams of coffee and they both settled almost immediately. Then I took a small cup and my Fellow kettle and started pouring water slowly, it has a real time flow reading and I found it quite responsive and easy to use to pick a flow rate within the limits of my ability to pour smoothly. I would say at this time it's my new favorite scale. It has a built in timer that starts with the press of a button. I have this vague feeling autostart might be planned, but I'm not sure. If someone gets Decent support in place, it will become my main scale.

ira (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by ira (original poster) »

They released the app for Android this morning. Here is what it looks like slowly pouring coffee beans into a glass:

loscorrales

#10: Post by loscorrales »

ira wrote:I used it for the first time this morning to measure coffee and then later use a kettle to slowly pour water as if I was doing a pour over. My impression is it's at least as fast as a Lunar in responding to weight changes. I tared them both and then poured in 17 grams of coffee and they both settled almost immediately. Then I took a small cup and my Fellow kettle and started pouring water slowly, it has a real time flow reading and I found it quite responsive and easy to use to pick a flow rate within the limits of my ability to pour smoothly. I would say at this time it's my new favorite scale. It has a built in timer that starts with the press of a button. I have this vague feeling autostart might be planned, but I'm not sure. If someone gets Decent support in place, it will become my main scale.
You can activate the autostart through the app