First espresso machine upgrade with $700 budget - Pros/Cons - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TigerStripes

#11: Post by TigerStripes »

iamnew1990 wrote: @TigerStripes I've heard some good things about the Gaggia Classic, but haven't looked into it too much. If you were to compare the Lelit Glenda and the Gaggia Classic (other than the PID on the Lelit and the plastic build on the Gaggia), do you have thoughts on buld quality, shot quality, etc.? The Gaggia definitely doesn't look as nice (to me at least) as the Lelit... but if it'll give me really good results (understanding about the lack of a PID) without breaking the bank as much... I could be convinced.
I wouldn't get the gaggia classic unless you're planning to add the auber PID to it. PID on a boiler machine is absolutely essential to pulling great shots consistently. I also would only consider buying the older version of the gaggia classic - NOT the new "gaggia classic pro". The old version is bulletproof, easy to repair, has adjustable OPV, and endless mod guides can be found online. If you like tinkering, the gaggia classic is the machine for you.

In terms of shot quality, I'd expect them to be very similar. The gaggia is a very capable machine. The biggest difference between the two is the boiler size. The gaggia is 100ml whereas the lelit is 300ml. The gaggia will heat up faster, but the lelit will be better for back to back shots if you are pulling several shots in a row. The boiler on the lelit is brass, which concerns me because brass may have some lead content. This is a well known and discussed issue in espresso, so do your own research and decide how you feel about it. Personally, I'm much happier with my 200F water sitting in an aluminum boiler than a brass boiler, but I'm open to being educated more on that.

All of that being said - if you are happy to spend $700 on the machine alone - get a used breville dual boiler. There might be 1 or 2 on the buy/sell forum right now. It's supposed to pull shots with the best machines. People on this forum have bought the BDB and then chosen not to upgrade to la marzocco because they didn't feel the need. I would choose the BDB over the lelit in a second - there's just no comparison there.
LMWDP #715

tennisman03110

#12: Post by tennisman03110 »

I'm a newbie myself, but picked up a Breville Duo Temp for $150 on eBay, $200 for a Baratza 270 from the forums here, 53mm Apexstone leveler for $20. And a few other small items, cups, etc.

Honestly, while my milk steaming needs work, I most recently finished a bag of Black and White Classic, and the straight espresso is as good as anything I've had.

I'm not a super taster, but I'd recommend my setup. I brew non-pressurized. Use fresh coffee and I'm a champion. Or it's good to me.

spressomon

#13: Post by spressomon »

Since you do want tasty, consistent & relatively easy espresso/espresso drinks...I would buy an EspressoForge or Robot, Bellman electric and just use it for steam (eBay, etc) and a Sette 270...all for a little more than your $700 mark...$800.

Boom.

Edit: Here's a Bellman CXE-25 on eBay right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bellman-CXE-25 ... Sw3F5d2WxM

I paid $50 with shipping a few years ago and they can be had for same/similar cost if you're patient. I did swap in the new style steam wand & tip to get more powerful steam but it will get you to micro-texture foam quite easily with either.
No Espresso = Depresso

Bluenoser

#14: Post by Bluenoser »

spressomon wrote:Since you do want tasty, consistent & relatively easy espresso/espresso drinks...I would buy an EspressoForge or Robot, Bellman electric and just use it for steam (eBay, etc) and a Sette 270...all for a little more than your $700 mark...$800.

Boom.
+!

thirdcrackfourthwave

#15: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

spressomon wrote:Since you do want tasty, consistent & relatively easy espresso/espresso drinks...I would buy an EspressoForge or Robot, Bellman electric and just use it for steam (eBay, etc) and a Sette 270...all for a little more than your $700 mark...$800.

Boom.
I have a Gaggia. I have a Robot. I've pulled shots side by side from both. They are a different animal. The Robot is a far tastier shot. I suspect that comparison would hold in with a Silvia. Additionally far less maintenance with the robot.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by mgwolf »

Another vote for a Kafelat Robot + Bellman stovetop steamer. I recently saw a Robot in action for the first time and the espresso was wonderful. There are videos of the Bellman on Youtube (never seen one personally) but it looks like it does a nice job. Total for top-tier espresso under $500.