First Espresso Machine: Quick Mill Silvano Evo vs Lelit PL91T

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
redhairs

#1: Post by redhairs »

I intend to buy my first espresso machine w/ budget $1000, mainly for Latte (2 cups/day) and Latte art practice, I really want the PID , pressure gauge and especially the powerful steam features to help me on Latte art but don't mind to wait between coffee brewing and milk steaming, the current candidates are Quick Mill Silvano Evo and Lelit PL91T, hope to get advice or other suggested options before making the decision. thanks

jgood

#2: Post by jgood »

Although it's easy to spend the other guys money -- can you stretch to an E61 single boiler like a Quick Mill Alexia Evo (1400) ? I think in the long run an E61 machine is something you'll be happy you got. And have you budgeted for a good grinder?

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

As a first machine, the complexities of most HX machines' temperature management can take a while to master. That, combined with learning about grind, puck prep, ratio, and adjusting taste can be frustrating. If you consider it a learning machine, I have read that they are good machines. I can't express specific opinions as I haven't used either myself.

In today's market I'd consider the Breville Dual Boiler ("BDB") as the next step up, or a MaraX for a classic-look E61 with its relatively unique temperature management for an HX unit.

A good espresso grinder is key.

ragdoll serenade

#4: Post by ragdoll serenade »

For a couple of cups a day and someone on a budget, I think either of the machines the OP listed would be an excellent choice.

slipchuck

#5: Post by slipchuck »

I would go for the silvano as it's a great machine at a good price
Can steam and pour a shot at the same time

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

redhairs (original poster)

#6: Post by redhairs (original poster) »

jgood wrote:Although it's easy to spend the other guys money -- can you stretch to an E61 single boiler like a Quick Mill Alexia Evo (1400) ? I think in the long run an E61 machine is something you'll be happy you got. And have you budgeted for a good grinder?
I have Niche Zero and waiting for the Fellow Ole but not sure if I should invest more on the first espresso machine

#7: Post by redhairs (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:As a first machine, the complexities of most HX machines' temperature management can take a while to master. That, combined with learning about grind, puck prep, ratio, and adjusting taste can be frustrating. If you consider it a learning machine, I have read that they are good machines. I can't express specific opinions as I haven't used either myself.
As a beginner, just wondering if the learning curve of HX is more steep than others? or it doesn't matter to an non-experienced person?

#8: Post by redhairs (original poster) »

slipchuck wrote:I would go for the silvano as it's a great machine at a good price
Can steam and pour a shot at the same time
Silvano used to be my first option but heard that its steam is a little bit wet due to thermoblock , is it true? because latte art practice is a important factor to my decision

#9: Post by redhairs (original poster) »

I also want to know Quick Mill or Lelit machine is more reliable? seems most of the espresso machine dealers are in E. coast, can I find any in W. coast? thx

jgood

#10: Post by jgood »

I'm in Los Angeles and it's pretty much mail order for me. Chris Coffee has been responsive to any questions I've had -- about water, and few other things with my machine, but nothing actually has broken. Clive and WLL are west coast but Oregon or Washington State.