First espresso machine: Quick Mill Silvano Evo or Lelit PL91T Victoria?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
FlyInfinity

Postby FlyInfinity » May 15, 2019, 3:31 am

Hi all, Ive been looking around doing tons of reading and want to get my first espresso machine. Id like to keep it around $1000 for the machine only (I already have a lido et). Im currently looking at the Silvano evo and lelit victoria. My only requirements are PID and 58mm pf which they both have. Steaming is a really low priority since I mostly drink iced coffee. Any opinions on which machine you guys like better? Any other machines in that price range I should check out (I've ruled out breville and ascaso machines)?

Nunas

Postby Nunas » May 15, 2019, 11:14 am

I don't have either machine, but before I decided to go with an HX, both QM and LeLit were on my list. The Silvano has a separate (though a little anemic) steaming system, which you state you don't really need, but which might come in handy if you have guests. The QM machines have a better lineage, but LeLit has come up in status lately, IMHO. The Silvano has a slightly larger boiler, which should give better temperature stability. Sorry...that's all I've got!

tracer bullet

Postby tracer bullet » May 15, 2019, 2:12 pm

I have a personal preference for the switches on the QM versus the Lelit and also their gauge but that's really minor. They both of course are PID controlled and the PID can function as a timer, which I really like.

Reading reviews in the past indicated that the QM was up to temp practically in 5 minutes (meaning that temp fluctuations and how they affected the espresso weren't noticeable by most people) and very measureably stable and at temp within 15. Videos showing Scace measurements showed the temps coming out of the QM being very linear as well, within a degree the whole time if I remember right. The Lelit might be identical in this regard but I didn't research it far enough to find out.

It might come down to personal preference - does one look better? Fit in your kitchen or wherever better? Have a better warranty? Come from a preferred vendor? Cost?

Stanford55

Postby Stanford55 » May 16, 2019, 2:50 pm

These both look like excellent entry level options. The only significant differences that I can see is the Lelit has a smaller footprint and the QM can brew and steam simultaneously. Also, the QM does not have a hot water dispenser, a potential dealbreaker for americano aficionados (for that reason alone I'd go with Lelit).

FlyInfinity

Postby FlyInfinity » May 17, 2019, 1:27 am

Thanks for the input everyone! The problem now is that I just found out about decent espresso, but the price of the de1+ is wow. I saw old references to a non plus model for $999 but its all old information. Is that model slated to ship anytime soon?

*edit* - NM on the de1, finally saw the thread where they arent moving forward with it.

sweaner

Postby sweaner » May 17, 2019, 9:06 pm

Don't rule-out the Breville Dual Boiler. Probably the most bang/buck in that general price range.
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

FlyInfinity

Postby FlyInfinity » replying to sweaner » May 17, 2019, 11:20 pm

The BDB goes on and off my list. Im on my 3rd breville countertop oven in 4 years. If that kind of reliability carries through to their espresso machines its not something I want to deal with.