First espresso machine for a prior barista

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Roisey33

#1: Post by Roisey33 »

I'm super torn and I've been debating this decision for the past year. I'm debating between the following machines:

Breville Bambino
Breville Dual Boiler
Silvia with PID
Lelit Victoria
Lelit Elizabeth

It's quite a varied list, but I like each option for a different reason. At which machine do I reach diminishing returns for the espresso produced? I was a barista in Denver for a few years, so I know my way around a machine and grinder. I drink light/medium roasts: Huckleberry, Sweet Bloom, Novo. I always played around with flow control on a Slayer at my first job and preinfusion with a Linea PB ABR at my second job, so im leaning toward wanting a machine with preinfusion. I do not want an E61 grouphead or a HX. I lean toward saturated groupheads. I will be drinking mostly straight espresso with a macchiato/cort/capp here or there. Max 2-3 drinks a day. I'm the only person using the machine. PID is a must. I enjoyed experimenting with temp and preinfusion most when I was a barista.

In terms of grinders, I have a Breville smart grinder pro and a Lagom mini, neither of which I'm very happy with. I will probably buy a DF64 soon and an Ode for drip. I understand how important grinders are. I would like this to focus on espresso machines.

I like the Bambino for its PID, preinfusion, quick change to steaming, and its price. The main complaint I see for this machine is the shot temp, which I assume can be explained by the fact that its technically not a saturated group head. I figure this should be solved by flushing 6-8oz of water through the grouphead right after start up. I could see this machine keeping me happy for up to a year until I'm out of school and in another place with more counter space and money. I would get a 54mm IMS basket and bottomless portafilter.

I would consider a Silvia with a PID. I lean toward the Bambino because it has a proper built in preinfusion. There is an Auber PID Silvia manufactured 05/20 near me on Craigslist for $650 I'm heavily debating. I've also read about a PID from meCoffee that appears to be endgame, providing some pressure profiling and preinfusion? Although, it seems like support and technical difficulties with steam temp control arent uncommon and I haven't seen the product mentioned much recently?

Lelit Victoria has a PID, preinfusion, and a pressure gauge. In terms of preinfusion, I feel like the Bambino still wins with its slow ramp, based off what I've read.

I like the Lelit Elizabeth for its customization of peinfusion. This is essentially my dream machine, aside from the Prima One. I don't really need a dual boiler, but in this case I like the extra options it provides in the menu.

The idea of flow profiling on the BDB really appeals to me, but I'm worried about the reliability and the overall size. I don't have much counter space right now and I move every year or two.

klee11mtl

#2: Post by klee11mtl »

While I believe the Breville line offers great value for its intended customer audience, I'd hate to see anyone purchase one under incorrect assumptions about the PID.

"PID is a must. I enjoyed experimenting with temp and preinfusion most when I was a barista.". It (Bambino) has a PID controller which stabilizes brew temperature but that temperature is NOT adjustable; it is a single factory-set temp.

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

My tendency is to say buy a Robot. None of those machines will be anything like what you're use to and many of them might end up being disappointing. I don't ever remember anyone being unhappy with a robot and a number of espresso drinkers have given up much fancier machines because the Robot does as well. that and some sort of frother will likely do what you need.

Ira

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

Brewtus in Denver on CL

Here's something to consider.
LMWDP #198

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

That's a way better choice that what you've pointed out and with the addition of the Coffee Sensor flow control kit it should do pretty much everything you want.

Roisey33 (original poster)

#6: Post by Roisey33 (original poster) »

I appreciate all the responses. I understand the Bambino is not temp adjustable, but I'm okay with that for the price. I'm okay with upgrading to another machine in 6 months to a year when I have more counter space and money.

At this time I'm not considering manual or E61 groupheads. The Expobar brewtus is definitely overkill for my needs. I appreciate that I could add flow control, but im not sure I want to mess with that quite yet, or mod an E61. My schedule is constantly changing with school and clinicals, so I'd prefer a smaller saturated group machine that heats up quicker than a 60lb E61. I understand I could hook it up to a smart plug, but E61s just don't appeal to me. The WLL video for the Brewtus also says you should wait 20-30 min after changing the brew boiler temp for everything to equalize.

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

Unless you've a tiny brew boiler, LMLM for example, or a thermoblock, Decent for example, essentially everything takes that long to stabilize. Before deciding on a Bambino, read the bambino threads here. I would guess it's the wrong choice given what you've said. Also, pick something you can get your money back on if you plan to upgrade in 6 months.

Ira

Bluenoser

#8: Post by Bluenoser »

The Profitec Pro300 has a small group (non-E61).. Steam is not at same level as larger machine but doesn't sound like you need that. heats up in 10 min. Other than that.. the Breville DB is likely the most disposable and cheapest solution.. Maybe just consider it a 3 year machine and use scale-free water; I think the BDB is one of the only machines that comes with a 2 year warranty (or used to).. (unless the vendor adds years onto the manufacturers warranty)

You might be underestimating the manuals, like a robot or Flair 58 .. either of them will last you forever.. no water chemistry to worry about.. but they don't steam.

Roisey33 (original poster)

#9: Post by Roisey33 (original poster) »

The pro 300 doesn't have preinfusion. At that point I'd just get the Elizabeth.

I decided to go with the Bambino. Just ordered an IMS basket, tamper, and a naked portafilter. I'm going to pick up the new Timemore Nano soon too. Bed Bath and Beyond has a 20% off coupon if you join Beyond + and they have a 90 day return period. Sounded like a no brainer to me. I look forward to contributing to the Bambino thread. Since I currently live in Denver, our water boils at ~202.5, so adjusting the temp higher isnt really an option. If it ends up not meeting my needs I'll either sell it or return it. That's a risk I'm willing to take.