Fiorenzato F4E Nano V2 vs Rocket Fausto

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
SiempreTuParceroMike

Postby SiempreTuParceroMike » Sep 15, 2018, 1:09 am

After lots and lots of reading, I had been set on upgrading to a Fiorenzato F4E Nano V2. I was planning to order it as soon the next paycheck came in!

However, as of a few hours ago the Rocket Fausto has caught my eye and I'm wondering (yet again) if I shouldn't just bite the bullet and spend a wee bit more.

The questions I would love answered are these:

1) How much difference in the cup am I going to *really* notice? Either grinder will be a big upgrade for me and they're both considered to be very good options at my price point.

2) Is the $200 price difference simply due to the Fausto's larger burrs? I don't feel the need to spend an extra few hundred just to wait 10-15 seconds less.

Opinions?
eager and self-proclaimed newbie

www.michaelckregler.com

redbone

Postby redbone » Sep 15, 2018, 8:13 am

As an owner of a F4E I can state grind quality is very good, shooting well above it's 58mm flat burr size, even before I added the SSP burrs. Alignment from factory was very good, motor is strong and capsense touch pad works flawlessly so far. I also added Peter's excellent collar ring scale to make it easier to see grind settings.

The difference vs a previous 64mm grinder was as you mentioned speed, albeit seconds.
It appears the Rocket Fausto is made by Eureka considering the abilty to open and clean burrs without having to reset grind settings and the use a micro adjustment knob vs collar similar to the 65E. This are added features beyond just burr size. Eureka now part of Nuova Simonelli are known to make excellent grinders.

Burr size alone would not justify the higher cost but the added features now make it a very compelling choice if it is comfortably within your budget. Here in Canada the difference is $400+ at my local reseller. He gave me a deal on a floor model F4E that sealed the deal.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

SiempreTuParceroMike

Postby SiempreTuParceroMike » Sep 15, 2018, 11:20 am

Thanks so much for that - very, very helpful.

I should have mentioned that the $200 (as opposed to $400) price difference in my case has to do with some discounts. That's another temptation/reason for my indecision.

Clearly, the next step is to ask the wife, who drinks lots of coffee but is (still) not nutso for espresso like me, for the thumbs up. But I think she may say yea due to our "you can get a new grinder and I can pick the new chandeliers" agreement. A no-brainer if there ever was one! :o

Best,
Mike

www.michaelckregler.com

Brother_Bluto

Postby Brother_Bluto » Sep 15, 2018, 9:12 pm

Very happy with My Rocket Fausto. The large knob for infinite adjustment is nice, and as mentioned above it uses the Eureka design which allows you to pull the top, clean, put back together and it is still at the setting you left off with (no need to dial back in the grind). The timed grind works great - two buttons that can be configured for the time you want. Little to no clumping, but I tend to single dose with a small spritz of water mist on the beans, shake and dump in the hopper.

Ddebock

Postby Ddebock » Sep 16, 2018, 12:29 pm

SiempreTuParceroMike wrote:After lots and lots of reading, I had been set on upgrading to a Fiorenzato F4E Nano V2. I was planning to order it as soon the next paycheck came in!

However, as of a few hours ago the Rocket Fausto has caught my eye and I'm wondering (yet again) if I shouldn't just bite the bullet and spend a wee bit more.

The questions I would love answered are these:

1) How much difference in the cup am I going to *really* notice? Either grinder will be a big upgrade for me and they're both considered to be very good options at my price point.

2) Is the $200 price difference simply due to the Fausto's larger burrs? I don't feel the need to spend an extra few hundred just to wait 10-15 seconds less.

Opinions?

I have the F4 and if you can swing for the Rocket I would. My main issue which the rocket doesn't seem to suffer from is in making tiny adjustments to the grind, the collar on the F4 is hard to turn and you can end up overshooting your adjustment. It seems the Rocket won't have this issue as it has the ability to tighten and loosen to adjust the grind.

I would also say that cleaning the F4 is a bit of a hassle, you have to pull everything apart and dump it out, not sure if this is the case with all grinders but it's a bit of a pain. Switching beans usually means I just let one run into the other otherwise I end up wasting a lot, not ideal. I've heard of people single dosing with the F4 but I haven't had much luck, it really likes to popcorn when there isn't any beans weighing it down.

I can't speak to difference in the cup, but I went from the encore to the F4 and it was an entire world of difference in the cup, ie I wasn't making espresso before.

I will say that once I get the F4 dialed in it doesn't move and there is virtually no clumping.

SiempreTuParceroMike

Postby SiempreTuParceroMike » Sep 17, 2018, 9:53 am

Ddebock wrote:I My main issue which the rocket doesn't seem to suffer from is in making tiny adjustments to the grind, the collar on the F4 is hard to turn and you can end up overshooting your adjustment. It seems the Rocket won't have this issue as it has the ability to tighten and loosen to adjust the grind

I went from the encore to the F4 and it was an entire world of difference in the cup, ie I wasn't making espresso before.

Thanks, Dale - though part of me wishes you had said "nah, the Rocket is overpriced, just get the F4!" :P The wife freaked just a bit when I said I was thinking of spending a few hundred more.

The adjustment wheel on the Fausto does seem to be very precise and easy to use.

I also had an encore and "upgraded" (those quotation marks are questionable, depending on whom you ask) to a Rocky, which I use now. However, it's clear after several years of use and reading posts on the HB forum that the shots can be a lot better. Thanks again.

www.michaelckregler.com