Expobar Brewtus IV or Bezzera BZ13

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
meziatto

#1: Post by meziatto »

Hi,

Upgrading from Gaggia Evolution, among several alternatives I narrowed my choices to second hand Brewtus IV (vibration pump, HX) and open box Bezzera BZ13 (DB). Their prices are similar (~1.050 Euros).

Brewtus IV is attractive because of dual boiler and E61 (easy to find parts), whereas BZ13 is attractive because of startup-time and warranty.

I will use it %80 milk based drinks. Any suggestion?

PS. My extended alternatives were (Bezzera BZ13 DE PID or Oscar 2)

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

A Brewtus II was my first serious espresso machine, the first was a Baby Gaggia purchased in the early 80's which I never understood well enough to get past swill. While the Brewtus is not the sexiest machine, not the most high tech and I certainly covet other more modern and much higher end machines, I have never once regretted the decision to buy it. It's all basic stuff, reasonably easy to work on. When needed the local espresso supply has all the parts I need. Mostly gaskets, baskets and an E-61 rebuild kit once.

Ira

meziatto (original poster)

#3: Post by meziatto (original poster) »

Thanks ira. I have a question, by saying 'reasonably easy to work on', do you mean 'making espresso is easy' or 'servicing the machine is easy'?

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

I was talking about servicing it, but it's an E-61 so it's as easy to pull an espresso as any dual boiler PID controlled E-61. If you want to make a lot of shots in succession, it's possible for the brew boiler to go slightly over temperature because of the input water being heated by the steam boiler, but it's only ever been a theoretical problem, not one I've ever seen.

Ira