European Union import taxes on Monolith Grinder

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
javipi

#1: Post by javipi » Oct 12, 2019, 6:18 pm

Dear all,
Tried to find this for a while in the available threads but was not able to. Do any of the European Union HBs has imported a coffee grinder from the US? I would love to understand the total cost of bringing a Monolith Flat Max to Spain should I be lucky to get one.

I bet some have done it before, I would love to hear from you. Shipping is $180.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just read it's 50% on top of price+shipping. 3250+180*.5= 1.715 on top of the price, you can round it to a nice $5.000. I might need to make a business trip up to the US when the time comes.

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl » Oct 13, 2019, 4:01 am

Taking it home after a business trip may have you end up paying the duties and a fine when you are stopped at Customs by any chance.
LMWDP #483

PCJAnt

#3: Post by PCJAnt » Oct 13, 2019, 4:36 am

javipi wrote:Dear all,
Tried to find this for a while in the available threads but was not able to. Do any of the European Union HBs has imported a coffee grinder from the US? I would love to understand the total cost of bringing a Monolith Flat Max to Spain should I be lucky to get one.

I bet some have done it before, I would love to hear from you. Shipping is $180.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just read it's 50% on top of price+shipping. 3250+180*.5= 1.715 on top of the price, you can round it to a nice $5.000. I might need to make a business trip up to the US when the time comes.
Where have you read it is 50% on top? Unless coffee equipment would have special import duty I believe you only need to pay in customs the applicable VAT of the EU member state. Am I wrong?

domi

#4: Post by domi » Oct 13, 2019, 4:41 am

javipi wrote:EDIT: Just read it's 50% on top of price+shipping.
Where did you read this? Even in the context of the ongoing trade war, I can't believe import duties on such an item from US to EU would be that high. Of course, you would need to pay your country's VAT, calculated on the price with shipping costs.

myso

#5: Post by myso » Oct 13, 2019, 5:17 am

Vat (i believe) is 21%. For my country (over 150€) it's additional 30€ for customs duties so a 3250$+180$ monolith max ends up 4180$ (3788€).

I would send a mail to Titus grinding and ask how much he will charge for his upcoming grinder Nautilus with minimum number of extras.

NelisB

#6: Post by NelisB » Oct 13, 2019, 6:03 am

It's VAT and custom duties. VAT is different in every country, but mostly around 20 %. custom duties are probably different as well, around 8 %. And they'll charge you handeling costs which will be a fixed price.

Maucca#68

#7: Post by Maucca#68 » Oct 13, 2019, 7:11 am

javipi

#8: Post by javipi » replying to Maucca#68 » Oct 13, 2019, 7:38 am

Thanks a lot.This info led me to a some other places. To round it up, total taxes should be around 25% of the price (VAT+ Possible Tariff + Fee). :D

NelisB

#9: Post by NelisB » Oct 13, 2019, 9:23 am

That's what I calculate with