Eureka Specialita vs Helios 65

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
geezercdg

#1: Post by geezercdg »

Hi Everyone

I am trying to decide on which of the above grinders to buy. I really only make espresso and use the same beans a kilo at a time before changing.

Which do you think would be the better machine or are they the same except for the burr size? (I understand that Eureka are just about to release a XL version with 65mm burrs so I may wait for that too)

Has anyone bought a Helios?

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

With all else being equal, alignment, workflow etc... size does make a difference. The Helios also incompasses a newer more advanced interface. Even in the XL model the Specialita is considered a prosumer grinder whereby the Helios is more of a cafe grinder especially the larger burr model.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Appalachian Coffee

#3: Post by Appalachian Coffee »

I have the Specialita and drink mostly espresso shots. My deciding consideration was do I want a grinder that is nearly two feet tall versus 14 inches tall. I'm making great espresso and am not sure if I could discern the difference in the larger burr size.

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

Didn't notice a change between 58mm and 64mm burrs but did notice a discernable difference between 64mm and 83mm burrs. Found that the 83mm Major E had a larger sweet spot while dialing in the collar adjustment similar to previous conical burrs owned. Shots were smoother with a greater balance between flavours. Only negative may be that balancing of flavours may be muting to some.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Appalachian Coffee

#5: Post by Appalachian Coffee »

redbone wrote:Didn't notice a change between 58mm and 64mm burrs but did notice a discernable difference between 64mm and 83mm burrs. Found that the 83mm Major E had a larger sweet spot while dialing in the collar adjustment similar to previous conical burrs owned. Shots were smoother with a greater balance between flavours. Only negative maybe that balancing of flavours may be muting to some.

That's good to hear redbone. I like smooth! I was not meaning to denigrate the advantages of larger burrs. Maybe I could tell a difference and maybe not using a larger burred grinder with my machine. I certainly considered several grinders with larger burrs before deciding on the Specialita.

geezercdg (original poster)

#6: Post by geezercdg (original poster) »

Appalachian Coffee wrote:I have the Specialita and drink mostly espresso shots. My deciding consideration was do I want a grinder that is nearly two feet tall versus 14 inches tall. I'm making great espresso and am not sure if I could discern the difference in the larger burr size.
Yes, I totally get that. Its very large and I suppose my secondary question would be - Is the size worth it? It would dominate my kitchen space somewhat but i'd be prepared to do that if the grind/taste difference was worth it?

What you think?