Eureka Mignon Specialita vs Niche Zero?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

Any reason at all to consider the Eureka Mignon Speciliata over the NZ if I am single dosing? Or is this a clear and decisive win for the NZ?

kaimojurgis1

#2: Post by kaimojurgis1 »

I have specialita. I paid about 65-70% of what Niche costs and I only do single dosing. It works great and I have never had a complaint in over a year, but if I would make a new purchase now, I would buy Niche (if the budget allowed)

dreadnatty08

#3: Post by dreadnatty08 »

I single dose in my Mignon Manuale (the cheapest of the bunch) and it works out fine. Maybe .2-.3gm of retention but usually less. I've not done any mods to it either, just close the hopper gate to prevent popcorning. I wanted a Niche as well, but this grinder has worked well for me for a couple months.

splashalot

#4: Post by splashalot »

Don't underestimate the taste differences between conical burrs in the Niche and flat burrs in the Specialita.

I recently sold my Niche after discovering I don't like the conical burr flavour profile. Had no idea it would be so different to what I was used to (flat burr Macap).

Jeff

#5: Post by Jeff »

Equally so, don't underestimate the differences between burrs of the same, general geometry and what construction and alignment do to taste. The flat-burr Mazzer Mini, for example, is very far from the top of my list.

Legend_217
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Legend_217 »

Eureka is pain the butt if you change coffee beans all the time and often go from espresso to pour over. Niche is 10x easier to change grind setting

dsc106

#7: Post by dsc106 »

So let's see if I can recap thus far, please correct where I am mistaken:

- While burr type can make a significant difference, it's not as much about flat vs conical burrs, because even within "flat" vs "conical" there's a ton of variations as to the final flavor produced. While I may prefer the flavor on a $2k Flat Burr machine over the $700 Conical NZ, I may prefer the NZ vs an $800 Flat Burr machine. Flavor is a function of burr shape, size, construction, alignment, etc. And as is, it is largely (though perhaps not unanimously) agreed that there is no better flavor coming out of a grinder anywhere near this price point.

- The flavor difference between flat vs conical, while it can be "significant", is most noticeable to only the most discerning pallets, and even then, it doesn't make one or other at all undesirable if they are both quality grinders. Once into the well reviewed, >$400 price point grinders, diminishing returns set in heavily.

- The Eureka's key advantage does not lie in flavor or burrs, but rather in its process convenience via bean hopper. However, this can be a disadvantage as well if you don't go through a bag of beans in a few days. It can be used effectively for single dosing if desired, but at that point, what is the point if you never intend to use the hopper? The key disadvantages are dialing in grind size when switching brew methods (ie chemex to espresso) or rotating between different beans (i.e. morning roast, afternoon decaf).

- The NZ's key advantage is in how quickly, easily, accurately, repeatedly you can change grind size, and it's class leading low retention. The workflow is also optimized for single dosing. The NZ's key disadvantage is lack of batch grinding and the single dosing limitation.

I have left out the shipping wait for NZ as this is a non-issue for me, as well as disregarded pricing as they are very similar in price when looking at the total cost of an espresso setup. Have I left anything out? Are there any concerns with the NZ as a newer and less tested company with more limited support than perhaps the Eureka may offer?

slipchuck

#8: Post by slipchuck »

I think that NZ is the flavour of the day. Great grinder no doubt but unless you have a discerning pallet the Eurika or similar will be good enough for most.
If you look back on this forum the Sette was all the rage and before that everyone needed a Rocky
Tommorow?

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

kaimojurgis1

#9: Post by kaimojurgis1 »

To confirm, Specialita would not fit if you change beans every day. I don't open a new pack until I'm done with what I have open, so dialing does not cause problems. Now if you are one of those who keep four packs of different beans open, you would not enjoy it.

dsc106

#10: Post by dsc106 »

For years, I have single dosed each morning for my pour over so I am use to the workflow. My biggest reason for single dosing is for freshness - I store my beans in a vacuum sealed container or bag. I'm on a coffee subscription and would usually just do one bag at a time for monetary + intake reasons. As the only coffee drinker, my caffeine consumption would go through the roof with multiple bags on hand! And either way, I think I'd waste a lot of quality coffee.

That said, I could see in the course of my 1.5 week consumption period (before my next new bag arrives) switching brew methods - Kalita wave, chemex, espresso rotation. But 80% espresso. I could also see stocking a second decaf bag where I enjoy some decaf espresso in the afternoon, or an evening affagato. That sort of thing. I should point out that I will also keep my Baratza Virtuoso, so it's not like I would HAVE to switch any grinder back and forth for brew methods. And, I have a hopper on the Baratza which would accommodate those times when I want to make a batch of cold brew.

To me, the biggest factor that makes me question Eureka vs Niche Zero is the long term history of the company. It's not cheap at these prices, so the biggest factor towards Eureka could just be the comfort of a bigger brand. On the flip side, I've heard nothing but praise for the NZ and they are relatively simple devices. And it seems with such a successful product, they won't be gone tomorrow. Ultimately, I am after the best grind quality and the simplest workflow. My hope is that either of these would be a buy-it-for-life purchase, but I also suspect 10 years of daily use might mean a new grinder will be in order... just hopefully not before next decade!