Eureka Atom Speciality 75 or Ceado E37S?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
sushibite

#1: Post by sushibite »

Hello,
I cannot decide between these two.

So my situation, I make at least 4 cups a day but I often host so that number grows, sometimes ower 20 cups.
I mostly make cappuccino, americano and espressos. I am not looking to single dose.

I am looking for a grinder that is quiet and zero mess :)

I think both grinders must be good but I've read on this forum that the Atom 75 moves on the table due to torque, that is a no go in my situation since I plan to have the grinder on a knock box drawer. Is the moving still an issue with the Atom ?

The only issue I have with the Ceado is that it not pretty and more expensive.

Any comment will help
cheers

jpsm

#2: Post by jpsm replying to sushibite »

You are right the ceado is not pretty and is pretty expensive. I got to play around with it a couple of months back before the upgraded adjustment knob/mechanism and I can tell you right now that it is pretty quiet and produces fluffy grinds. i was looking to upgrade my 75e at that time and I just could not bring myself to pull the trigger bec of how it looks. Imho the adjustment knob on eureka grinders are second to none. I own a eureka but when people always ask me if it is better vs the ceado, I always no but it's close. I would personally go for the ceado as it is CLEARLY the better grinder.

Advertisement
Beaniac

#3: Post by Beaniac »

I went from a a year with the Ceado e37s to the Atom75E with TiN coated mythos burrs for about 2-3 months now. The Atom delivers more flavor and that's mostly what I care about.

Grind adjustment takes some getting used to, but interface is super easy and grinds are fluffy and clump free. Zero spraying, which was different with the Ceado sometimes, especially with very fine grinds. Noise on the Atom is basically non-existent, the big torque in the home-friendly atom jacket does make the grinder want to hop, but on my oak counter it doesn't leave it place.
Also the Atom retains half of what the Ceado retains, so there is less purging between grind adjustments when you are using it hopper fed.

Ceado is a very good grinder, it won't let you down, but if I would have to choose again I would go Atom 75TiN any day of the week.

I don't know if all of this comes down to the burrs, because of the post above me stating the Ceado is "clearly" the better grinder, or maybe the grass just seems a bit greener on the other side?

sushibite (original poster)

#4: Post by sushibite (original poster) »

Yeah, still havent decided, but the ceado also has an option to have three timed grinds.

I would choose the atom in a heartbet, but the hopping issue worries me :/

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by baristainzmking »

I have a Ceado E37S that I bought last September. It is a late 2018 version with a touch screen and I updated it with a new worm gear, it is an excellent grinder. The grounds are super fluffy with no clumping at all. It is quiet, consistent and works amazing with the hopper. It makes zero mess, zero spraying and drops the grounds in the middle of the basket, I prefer to single dose and it works better then most titan grinders that weren't designed for this purpose. But that method does require a little extra work. The new worm gear makes dialing the new beans a snap. If I had to do it again and choose between E37S and Atom Specialty 75, i would choose E37S in a nano second. I prefer bigger burrs and Ceado E37S comes with 83mm vs 75 on the Atom. I know a few members updated their E37S with the SSP red Speed Burrs and found that to be even more of improvement in taste. I kept my stock burrs and am very happy with the grinder.

Good luck with your decision.
Julia

jpsm

#6: Post by jpsm »

Beaniac wrote:I went from a a year with the Ceado e37s to the Atom75E with TiN coated mythos burrs for about 2-3 months now. The Atom delivers more flavor and that's mostly what I care about.

Grind adjustment takes some getting used to, but interface is super easy and grinds are fluffy and clump free. Zero spraying, which was different with the Ceado sometimes, especially with very fine grinds. Noise on the Atom is basically non-existent, the big torque in the home-friendly atom jacket does make the grinder want to hop, but on my oak counter it doesn't leave it place.
Also the Atom retains half of what the Ceado retains, so there is less purging between grind adjustments when you are using it hopper fed.

Ceado is a very good grinder, it won't let you down, but if I would have to choose again I would go Atom 75TiN any day of the week.

I don't know if all of this comes down to the burrs, because of the post above me stating the Ceado is "clearly" the better grinder, or maybe the grass just seems a bit greener on the other side?
Did not meet anyone who prefers the atom75/olympus 75 over the e37s til now. I guess to each his own. I was just over at the local distributor of eureka in my part of the world and ask them what they thought about the e37s vs the 75 options they have right now and even they think that it is not a fair comparison with regards to burr size and grind consistency. IMHO the e37s can go toe to toe with the peak and even be better than my e65s despite it being the cheaper option. But to be honest I also read a couple of months back people having issues with the e37s with regards to spraying,clumping etc maybe you got a lemon?

bas

#7: Post by bas »

and even they think that it is not a fair comparison with regards to burr size and grind consistency. IMHO the e37s can go toe to toe with the peak and even be better than my e65s despite it being the cheaper option.
Please not again the old mantra the bigger the burrs the better the grinder...

The Atom 75E uses the same burr set as the Mythos grinder. That grinder might be considered as the bench mark. I have not heard yet that the Mythos is inferior to a Mazzer Ceado e37s or Mazzer major because the former only has 75 mm and the latter 83 mm burrs. Or that the E65e is even worse because it only has 65 mm...

Taste and consistency is not determined by burr size only.

Both are great grinders. You can't go wrong with any.

Advertisement
jpsm

#8: Post by jpsm replying to bas »

Never said anything about burr size is the main factor. If that were the case I would not even mention the e65s :) Yes same size as the mythos 1. mythos 2 uses a bigger burr size. Some even argue the mazzer SJ as being better than other grinders bec of its slow grinding speed(I guess bec it does not get as hot as other grinders that uses a higher rpm).

Again to each his own. In my circle of people in the coffee industry, everyone is in agreement of the e37s being better "value wise" this was however before the price increase bec of the new adjustment knob/mechanism. Most comparisons were done with the olympus 75e btw but iirc the atom is basically the same as the olympus only diff is it is more quiet and housing is plastic.

Going back to OP I think there is not much difference between the latest iteration and the one before that. Only the adjustment thing is new so if you can get a good deal on the previous one then go for it. I think you will be pretty happy with your purchase. :)

mohninme

#9: Post by mohninme »

jpsm wrote: Going back to OP I think there is not much difference between the latest iteration and the one before that. Only the adjustment thing is new so if you can get a good deal on the previous one then go for it. I think you will be pretty happy with your purchase. :)
I recently went on the hunt for a used E37S and found a lightly used previous version with an upgraded and adjustable SCC. I paid 1/3 the price I would have for a new one.
Michael

jpsm

#10: Post by jpsm replying to mohninme »

Hope you like it! Enjoy! :)