Espresso scale with timer, best for price?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
3cordcreations

#1: Post by 3cordcreations »

Hello,

Looking for a good, accurate, and fast responding small scale for espresso. I have tried a few AWS versions without timers and they both have slow response times and shut off during the pour. I can't figure out why they do this since the weight is going up so it should know it's, in-use.

I know about the Brewista II and some cheap ones on azon. Of coarse there is the Lunar but those are not in my price range.
Thanks.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

pcrussell50

#2: Post by pcrussell50 »

I have observed that some VERY good shops use the Brewista 2. Both dosing and extraction. However I could not tell if they were using the timer as well, or just the scale. I know that mine lasts AT LEAST nine months on a charge, which I like a lot. I charge it every December. I also only use the weight feature.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#3: Post by mivanitsky »

Brewista 2 is excellent for the price. Acaia Lunar and Felicita are a bit more responsive, but at significantly greater cost.

This one may be a good choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNYS868/

My friend bought one, and likes it as much as my Brewista, that he borrowed for a while.

3cordcreations (original poster)

#4: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.

I will look into the Brewista more.
The link listed shows out of stock.

On the A zon there are so many copy ones that show up like the Brewista. I don't like taking chances on knock offs though.

bluesman

#5: Post by bluesman »

mivanitsky wrote:Brewista 2 is excellent for the price.
I love mine! It's been a little over a year and I have yet to find something I don't like about it.

#6: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) replying to bluesman »

Thanks.
Interesting since the reviews on Clive coffee are not good and lots on A-zon are not good either. I may take a chance on one. I sometimes wonder about quality changing over the years of production.

Regards.

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

Bought the original Brewista when it came out and it made it about 2-years, maybe a little more, before it died. Then bought the Brewista II and its generally been a good scale with a couple caveats: In addition to using it for daily dosing and weighing espresso as its pulled I also use it a few times a year when camping and it doesn't like being cold (someone tested the Lunar for me by putting it in his freezer and relaying it doesn't care about ambient temps within reason). And every now and again it will decide to weigh 20-30% (guesstimate) less when weighing beans. I haven't found a common denominator but it seems this problem shows up when the battery has gone down 1-bar on the meter.

Someday when I'm feeling flush I'll probably just get a Lunar.
No Espresso = Depresso

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#8: Post by RapidCoffee »

Brewista II: nice scale, medium price, occasionally annoying. Switching between modes is slow. Automated tare/timer modes sometimes start when you don't want them to. Interface is overly complex (do we really need 5 weighing modes?).

Generic coffee scale with timer: I've had this scale for several months, no complaints. Inexpensive, fast response, accurate, slightly larger footprint than the Brewista. Manual tare and timer, which I prefer (less chance of accidental start).

AWS: worst of the half dozen coffee scales in my house. Slowest, least accurate, no timer. Never understood their popularity.
John

#9: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) replying to RapidCoffee »

Thanks. I have looked at that one and the coffee gator. Some of those look identical with a little different display. Prob all made at the same factory. The Gator is twice the price but has better reviews.
Yes, the AWS are not good from my experience with two different models.

Eastsideloco

#10: Post by Eastsideloco »

I have been running the original Brewista since its release with no real complaints or problems. In the first year, I used some of the pre-sets. But for the last couple of years, I just run it in the full manual mode. No complaints. When I used it on my HX machine, I took care to make sure that it never sat it water and that it was able to air dry after exposure to the 3-way sneeze. It's still in great shape. It also runs a long time without needing new batteries. I use this scale mostly for dosing and weighing espresso shots. It's a fine scale for brewing, but I prefer a larger platform when making a pourover.

FWIW, I also have an Acaia Pearl that I bought used. I actually prefer my more manual scales. Minority opinion, to be sure. But it's a data point for your evaluation.