Espresso scale - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jpreiser

#11: Post by jpreiser »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Only easy I know to get a discount now is sign up for emails at Seattle Coffee Gear and get 10% off.
I thought the same thing when looking to pick up a Lunar (I have the Pearl already) to fit better on my Vivladi's tray but discovered Acaia was excluded. :(

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#12: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz » replying to jpreiser »

That's a change then. I have seen them go on sale for the holidays, but that' a long way off.

Can always try making them an offer.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Neto

#13: Post by Neto »

I recommend the Hario but the rechargeable version (metal top).

J-Rock

#14: Post by J-Rock »

I just ordered the Brewista 2 with the sale price on amazon. At $79 Canadian and free shipping I'll give it a try. Have an ozeri touch right now but it only works in 1g intervals. I'll report back next week, fingers crossed

Jasper_8137

#15: Post by Jasper_8137 »

I currently have an acaia lunar but wanted a second scale for my setup in the basement. I didn't want to drop another $200 plus so thought I'd try the Brewista. Seemed like good functionality at a decent price. I got it a few days ago and have used it for maybe 10 shots. Maybe I got a lemon, but I'm finding it is not working well whatsoever. It is not responsive as many have noted previously, which I'm ok with. My main issue is that when in the mode that starts the timer with "the first drops of espresso", the timer starts less than 50% of the time. Most of the time the weight starts, but no timer, then the weight tares as the shot slows.

Overall, there's no comparison between the Lunar and Brewista. Whether it's worth an extra ~ $150 will be up to the individual. That being said, my Brewista is being returned today.

DaveB
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by DaveB »

Jasper_8137 wrote: Maybe I got a lemon, but I'm finding it is not working well whatsoever. It is not responsive as many have noted previously, which I'm ok with. My main issue is that when in the mode that starts the timer with "the first drops of espresso", the timer starts less than 50% of the time. Most of the time the weight starts, but no timer, then the weight tares as the shot slows..
I've had the Brewista for a while now, and have had the same experience; it takes several drops of espresso before it registers, and a lot of the time the counter doesn't start. This isn't really too much of an issue as my machine has a timer. Mine also does the auto-tare zeroing at the end of the shot a lot of the time - which is frankly bizarre and highly annoying. I've even had it zero DURING a slow profiled shot! It's also easy to inadvertently switch modes when turning the unit off.
Overall, there's no comparison between the Lunar and Brewista. Whether it's worth an extra ~ $150 will be up to the individual. That being said, my Brewista is being returned today
I think there's something to be said for the saying: "buy once, cry once". I just couldn't bring myself to spend $200 at the time for a 2nd scale (it's now $225, so price difference vs Brewista is currently $135). I have a pre-owned Acaia Pearl I got for a good deal on HB. I use it to weigh the beans and portafilter, and use mode 6 for pourover, which is great. The reason I got the Brewista is that I didn't want to move the relatively large Pearl back and forth to/from the drip tray. I think I'll try it for espresso shots to see what a responsive, non bug-ridden scale is like.

Once thing the Brewista has going for it is the insane battery life. I probably charge the Pearl at least 4 times for every time I charge the Brewista. If I see a Lunar go on sale I might just jump on it! I suppose I can justify the cost by thinking of the money I've saved by not going out lately. 8)
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. »

At the other end of the price range: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081ND5D8S/re ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

I've had mine for 2.5 years & no issues yet. Price has crept up since I bought mine but still a bargain.
LMWDP 267

Mountain

#18: Post by Mountain »

If you are going to buy the Decent get a Skale 2 since it interfaces with the machine. Decent still has a few in stock though they are apparently mostly sold out in the rest of the world.