Espresso-only machine recommendation (budget under $1000, don't need steam)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
swrobel

#1: Post by swrobel »

I currently have a Saeco Aroma machine that got me started on my path to espresso obsession, but I think it's finally time to bit the bullet and upgrade. I've been watching excitedly as the multitude of factory PID machines has cropped up over the past year, so it seems like the market is finally evolving. Here's what I'm looking for - a rec would be very much appreciated.
  • PID - Not a necessity but the geek in me would like to think that I'll tinker a lot with temp to achieve the perfect shot. Then again, temp consistency is probably paramount.
  • No steam - It seems like the major issue w/ most machine designs is producing steam & espresso in quick succession, but I really don't need steam. I mainly drink shots of espresso & some americanos. Can't think of the last time I used the wand on my Aroma. Anyway, it seems like this would save on cost/product higher-quality espresso if the machine was singularly devoted to pulling shots - just not sure if such machines exist.
  • Quality Construction - I've rebuilt my Aroma once so I'm into tinkering/maintaining. I'd like a machine that will last years and years and is easy to work on if anything needs to be replaced.
  • Bottomless portafilter option - I'd like to be able to study the progression of the shot, plus the videos I've seen of this are just so beautiful...
  • Under $1,000 - I'd like to spend closer to $500, but I don't want to cheap out on this purchase. I can't really justify 4 digits on a home machine though...
  • Bonus points for beauty - boy do those Rocket machines look nice!
Thanks in advance!!!

da gino

#2: Post by da gino »

There are some old levers that you can find used that fit the bill that have great reputations for espresso and don't steam (although I've never used or seen one in person). I think the Peppina is an example - you can search the boards for it. You do have to be lucky to find it though. Orphan Espresso often has rebuilds of these kinds of machines and if the've rebuilt it, my guess is that it will outlast any pump machine you could get under 1k new because levers tend to be built to last. If you want to buy a new lever for much under 1k the Pavoni is the only one I know of that comes in under say $900, but I love mine. (Someone correct me if there is another out there in that price).

Going the pump route, the Silvano might be a good choice just under 1k from Chris Coffee especially if you don't need steam.

Finally, there are sometimes hx machines on sale for just over 1k that would be great even if you didn't want steam (although they'd certainly leave that option open).

If you don't want to push the budget as close to 1k, you might want to look at the CC1, but I'll end by saying that in my experience with espresso machines diminishing returns usually doesn't kick in until closer to $1500, so it is a reasonable argument that spending more in your price range is not a wasteful idea (assuming you will use the machine and be passionate about it). If you'd told me that 10 years ago I would have laughed.

Yes, it is possible to get a pump machine that doesn't steam allowing you to save money by not paying for a feature you aren't using. It is made by La Marzocco but it may be a bit out of your price class. Ironically this option doesn't seem to be offered on inexpensive machines.

jonny

#3: Post by jonny »

Orphan Espresso hasn't had any refurbed home machines in quite some time... And La Peppina would need a DIY PID and a DIY bottomless pf. It is a cool little machine though!

Quickmill Alexia w/ PID sounds exactly what you want: http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... sso/alexia
They will install the PID and with the price of the PID being $319, I'm guessing with installation it would be over $400. So, it is a little outside of your budget but this does sound like the manifestation of what you are wanting. I see Alexias w/ PID used for around $800 once in awhile. Also there is another single boiler e61 out there that is a little older that could be found used but for some reason it slips my mind... anyone?

EDIT: I was thinking of Isomac Zaffiro or Isomac Amica. I also think Vibiemme had a single boiler called Piccolo or something?

da gino

#4: Post by da gino »

A bottomless portafilter is an easy DIY for $8 or you can send it off for under $50 so even in this price class it isn't a major obstacle for almost any machine. The PID would not be worth doing on a lever in my book, but the OP said the PID was optional (and if you want to get hands on with control over coffee, I think a lever gives you that chance at least as much as a PID - perhaps even too much so).

I did think about the Alexia as a good suggestion, but figured it was too far above the 1k price by the time you add on the PID.

Philg
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Philg »

If Alexia is appealing (there's a great detailed review here on HB) it might be worth calling Chris Coffee to see if they have any buyer's remorse returns. I got mine "used" from CC it arrived in great shape, was warrantied and service has been above and beyond.

Kfir

#6: Post by Kfir »

If you can get the Bezzera Unica in the US it is a very good option within your budget:

http://www.idrinkcoffee.com/Bezzera_Uni ... ca-b15.htm

It is a single boiler e61 group with pid, boiler is 0.5 liter.

The machine has a very small footprint, nice build quality and looks great.

I have tried it this week at a friend's house with the bb005 grinder and the espresso quality is very high.

Kfir.

Bluecold

#7: Post by Bluecold »

jonny wrote:Orphan Espresso hasn't had any refurbed home machines in quite some time... And La Peppina would need a DIY PID and a DIY bottomless pf. It is a cool little machine though!
OE does refurbs on a per-case basis. You buy an old machine, send it to them and you'll get it back in tip-top shape. I've never used this service, but offer it on their website.
The PF design of La Peppina virtually precludes any chances of easily cutting up a PF to convert it, unless you make a new PF from scratch.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

objective1

#8: Post by objective1 »

Just a thought but why not just do a silvia (potentially even a used one)

and save to upgrade your grinder...

seems like that would get you better flavor in the cup. for the dollar.

if you want a PID you could do that later as an ad on kit or as a 'send it out' upgrade.

swrobel (original poster)

#9: Post by swrobel (original poster) replying to objective1 »

I have a Baratza Virtuoso ... I don't think the grinder is the issue.

chapelizod

#10: Post by chapelizod »

I have a Baratza Virtuoso ... I don't think the grinder is the issue.
I got my grinder used from a Coffee Geek user, and it didn't arrive until a week after I had received my espresso machine. I desperately tried to make my Virtuoso work for espresso, but it was just an exercise in frustration. You will definitely need an espresso capable grinder if you upgrade to a better machine. The barratza preciso should be fine for this, and can be had refurbished from barratza for a little over $200. Or just watch the for sale forums, there are plenty of good deals there if you keep an eye out.