Espresso machine with budget under 10K CAD

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Zachary

#1: Post by Zachary »

I made my first post here about a week ago and I'd like to thank those who responded and helped me out. A variety of factors led to a change of budget the day after I initially posted, so I've been researching machines in this range for the last week.

Just wondering what else is out there that I may want to consider and people's opinions on the following machines. I went to the local dealers and checked out the Eagle 1 Prima ($8500), GS3 AV ($9300), and Theresia ($9950). I think the Theresia is too tall for me but does look super cool. I have done a lot of reading on these forums on the GS3, virtually no information out there anywhere online on the Theresia, and limited information on the Eagle 1 Prima as it's a new machine but I believe I've seen what is out there. I do find the Eagle 1 to be a more appealing machine right out of the box, but looks like the GS3 can be customized to look quite nice as well (Artpresso, Specht, cannonfodder).

I want good steam power (I think all machines in this price range will) and volumetric dosing. I think the only limitation I have is the machine needs to have a tank. Liking the GS3 because the tank is filled from behind the drip tray so you can put it under a cabinet. Also a 2.5L tank vs. the eagle at 1.5L. Not a big factor but sounds like the Eagle 1 Prima is so good at conserving energy that the cup warmer isn't warming up cups that well. Up to a 20amp machine. I drink mostly dark roasts and make mostly cappuccino with some espressos.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I'd look at these. Personally at this point I'd probably choose a Decent and then an Idromatic Speedster because it's just so cool looking if it's fits your idea of beautiful.

Speedster
Decent
Slayer
Synesso
Bosco Lever

Ira

Zachary (original poster)

#3: Post by Zachary (original poster) »

Yeah I've checked all these out except for Bosco Lever, don't want a lever. Rest are out of budget and I believe they are all lacking volumetric dosing, but they do look fabulous.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Zachary wrote:I made my first post here about a week ago...
For those who are curious, here's the link: First time buyer, espresso machine budget up to $3500. Your budget has increased substantially in one week. :lol:
Dan Kehn

MTN Gert

#5: Post by MTN Gert »

Sounds like the GS3 might be taking the lead

Using the bigger reservoir would be much more enjoyable if under the counter. Filling the prima from the top or by pulling out the reservoir would be easier if not under cabinet

Are you sure you don't want a plumb in system? If I didn't have it hooked up to a water line I would at least have it hooked up to a 2-5gallon under counter reservoir connected to a flojet pump and filtration system.

These machines are too expensive for me to risk putting unfiltered water in.

You can always buy the plumb in kit for the GS3 down the road too, the prima does come ready to work either way

One other consideration. Did you look up drip tray specs? I think the GS3 is bigger than the Prima. If you don't plan to drain it to the sink a bigger tray would be ideal
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

#6: Post by Zachary (original poster) »

I can't plumb in where I'm living now but it is a consideration for the future. I've been told by a number of people including the dealers of both brands that we don't need to filter our water here and that the only thing people do is use a sediment filter.

I have not looked up tray specs.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mgwolf »

With that budget, buy anything that looks good in your kitchen. They'll all be great machines, quality limited mainly by the barista.

MTN Gert

#8: Post by MTN Gert »

Zachary wrote:I can't plumb in where I'm living now but it is a consideration for the future. I've been told by a number of people including the dealers of both brands that we don't need to filter our water here and that the only thing people do is use a sediment filter.

I have not looked up tray specs.
I would have to strongly disagree with what the dealers told you. If you descale the machine regularly then sure. After 2 years with my Alex Duetto without a filter but the water was tested as acceptable, there was a crazy mineral build up. Its your money but on an investment of this type I would use a filter system or low mineral content bottle water
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

#9: Post by Zachary (original poster) »

I get what you're saying, you don't want scale building up in an expensive machine. I don't think my water is hard enough for that to happen though, based on what I've been told and what I've read. I could be wrong and not understanding what I'm reading.

https://clivecoffee.com/blogs/learn/the ... so-machine

This says use a softener if you have above 85 parts per million (PPM), mine is 5-10 PPM, so if anything I believe I'll need to be adding minerals back into the water to get a better tasting espresso?

slipchuck

#10: Post by slipchuck »

“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”