Espresso machine with budget under 10K CAD - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Zachary (original poster)

#11: Post by Zachary (original poster) »

MTN Gert recommend this to me in my initial thread. Unfortunately it's a direct plumb only machine and don't think I want to set up a flojet at this point or really have room for a 5 gallon jug.

BaristaBoy E61

#12: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

MTN Gert wrote:I would have to strongly disagree with what the dealers told you. If you descale the machine regularly then sure. After 2 years with my Alex Duetto without a filter but the water was tested as acceptable, there was a crazy mineral build up. Its your money but on an investment of this type I would use a filter system or low mineral content bottle water
I totally agree with Dave on this. The question is do you want to deal with water issues now while you can stay ahead of it or do you want to deal with it later when you'll have water and machine issues?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

MTN Gert

#13: Post by MTN Gert »

Zachary wrote:I get what you're saying, you don't want scale building up in an expensive machine. I don't think my water is hard enough for that to happen though, based on what I've been told and what I've read. I could be wrong and not understanding what I'm reading.

https://clivecoffee.com/blogs/learn/the ... so-machine

This says use a softener if you have above 85 parts per million (PPM), mine is 5-10 PPM, so if anything I believe I'll need to be adding minerals back into the water to get a better tasting espresso?
You obviously don't have to take the word of anyone on here. I just think people want to help you out because of personal experience. If you install a water filter system and you already have low mineral content, it should not remove the rest of minerals. How did you check your water if I may ask? 5-10ppm seams impossible low for a water supply, maybe 5-10 grains? My pacific northwest water is very low and still had 50ppm or 3 grains which was within machine spec. There was still a massive build up after 2 yeard at 3 grains.

https://www.espressooutlet.net/water-ha ... st-strips/

As far as a remote reservoir and flojet go, I have seen some very nice setups like the Lelit Bianca comes with. That way you can use a plumb in only machine like the Cimbali junior casa. Just tuck the reservoir and flojet behind the machine, or in a cabinet. It doesn't have to be a 5 gallon jug. If your budget allows for the best of both worlds than get a machine that can do either. The Prima just has too small of a reservoir and drip tray for me to be happy forever if it wasn't plumbed in and drained out.
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

Zachary (original poster)

#14: Post by Zachary (original poster) »

I haven't tested it myself, but from all the various sources I've read, various water filtration companies & the municipalities reports over the years, it's around 0.03 grains per gallon and tops 20 PPM. I suppose ultimately I should test my own tap water but it seems to be very soft based on the complete lack of any water drop spots on any glass or chrome I have in my home.

HH

#15: Post by HH »

I have read both threads (the earlier one where your budget was $3.5k and now this one where it is $10k), and I'm still not sure what you are looking for. Why are you spending so much money on this machine?

Being frank, it seems a lot of money to be spending when I suspect you don't really know what you are getting in exchange for your money. I could be totally wrong, and if so I apologise, but from the questions you are asking and the responses to the advice you have been given, it seems like you don't know very much about the machines you have shortlisted. Indeed you seem to have settled on them purely based on how much they cost as opposed to their capabilities.

I would strongly suggest finding out a bit more about what you want your espresso machine to do before throwing money at the problem. If you can't explain why the machine you are evaluating is better suited to your needs than the competition, then you are likely buying based on marketing fluff and an idea of 'prestige' rather than capability.

MTN Gert

#16: Post by MTN Gert »

I don't have any water spots either. For a couple dollars it probably would make sense to test it. My filtration system dropped the grains down to 0-1 range vs 3 grains 50ppm. Worth the piece of mind for me personally. If you find out that it is a little high, you can always mix in some distilled water in the reservoir to lower the concentration too.
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

baldheadracing
Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing »

Zachary wrote:... Just wondering what else is out there that I may want to consider and people's opinions on the following machines. I went to the local dealers and checked out the Eagle 1 Prima ($8500), GS3 AV ($9300), and Theresia ($9950).
Theresia, but only if you have the interior space that will fit with a Fuksas design. The machine won't look good in 99.9% of homes, but if your home gets featured in "Architectural Digest" ...

Inside, the Theresia is a one-group version of the Aurelia II T3 machines used in the WBC up until 2015, and similar to the Black Eagles used from then until this year. It's overkill for home use, with all the pluses - and minuses - of full-sized commercial internals.

Regardless, I have no experience with any volumetric machines other than the aforementioned Aurelia, so I can't say anything about your other choices. I would never consider a traditional volumetric machine for home use unless I was hosting many people very regularly.

As an aside, I would directly plumb - no filter - into Vancouver city water without a worry. Not saying anything about the Lower Mainland generally, though, as some municipalities use chloramine.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada