Espresso machine upgrade recommendations, please!

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jkerr

#1: Post by jkerr »

Hi there,

As stated in the subject line, I think it's time to upgrade, and I'm looking for recommendations.

I currently use a Gaggia Classic, which I've had for 2 or 3 years. I've set the OPV to 9 bars, I upgraded the steam wand and the group head (stainless steel), and use a bottomless portafilter. I'm able to get decent, consistent results with medium to dark roasts, but not light roasts, which I'm more interested in these days. But I'm finding the temperature variances infuriating, so I would like something with much more stable, and controllable, temperature. Ideally, I would also be able to monitor the brew pressure.

Personally, I don't care for milk drinks, excellent espresso is the priority, therefore a single boiler machine is enough for me. However, on weekends I make lattes for my girlfriend, and sometimes steamed milk for the kids, so I still want to have a steaming option. But a dual boiler is out of the question, and I don't really see the need for a heat exchange machine (although I'm open to the option).

Footprint is a big concern, as well. I have very limited counter space. The Gaggia Classic pretty much fills the space available, maybe it could be another inch wider, but that's about it.

For a grinder, I use a Baratza Sette 30, but with the 270 microadjuster attachment. I recently replaced the motor/gearbox, which was quick, easy, and didn't cost me a dime.

I'm aware that the next step up is in the $2000-$2500 CAD price point, and I'm ok with that. I enjoy tinkering, although I don't have a lot of time these days to do so, another reason why I'm currently less interested in the Gaggia Classic.

I've put together a short list of single boiler machines that fit my parameters, but am open to suggestions for other possibilities:
ECM Classika
Bezzera Unica
Lelit Victoria
Elektra Micro Casa A Leva (I should mention I'm open to lever machines and their possibilities)

I don't know why, but there's something about Quick Mill that I find offputting.

Any comments on the listed machines? Any other condenders I should consider? Any other relevant information I should provide?

Thanks!

GregoryJ

#2: Post by GregoryJ »

Temp management on the Elektra MCaL will probably be frustrating for you. Have you considered adding a PID controller to your Gaggia classic?

Portlandia

#3: Post by Portlandia »

ECM Puristika sounds exactly what you want. Espresso only, stainless boiler, small footprint, E61, PID.

henri

#4: Post by henri »

jkerr wrote:a dual boiler is out of the question
I'd reconsider this. I have a single boiler machine and while 99% of the drinks I make are pure espresso, the few times I need to steam milk followed by another shot make me wish I had a dual boiler instead. It is frustrating to have to wait for the boiler to go up and down to the right temperature.

How about the Profitec Pro 300? A dual boiler, but you don't need to switch on the steam boiler if you don't need it, so effectively it would act like a single boiler machine on weekdays. It also has PID and heats up quickly thanks to the ring group.

Portlandia

#5: Post by Portlandia replying to henri »

A few minutes of research would eliminate the Pro 300, as it has several shortcomings and pathetic steam performance. If 99% of drinks are straight espresso, wouldn't it be more pragmatic to just buy a separate frother?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas replying to Portlandia »

Pathetic steam? I wouldn't call it that. Some years back, I tried one out (before settling on a Synchronika). As I recall, the steam was about the same as many other machines in its class, running about 1.2 bar. Of course, with so many machines these days having 2-bar steam, in comparison, it's weaker. But since the OP only wants steam as a secondary function, or even no steam at all, I'd say the 300 should be perfectly adequate.

jkerr (original poster)

#7: Post by jkerr (original poster) »

Portlandia wrote:ECM Puristika sounds exactly what you want. Espresso only, stainless boiler, small footprint, E61, PID.
I admit the Puristika is very appealing to me, and if I were buying just for myself I wouldn't think twice about buying it. Of course a separate frother is an option, but since it would take all the fun out of making drinks for my family, I feel like the Puristika would be a very selfish purchase. But I'll take it into serious consideration.

When I think about it, having an espresso machine in the first place is pretty selfish, maybe I should go all the way.

jkerr (original poster)

#8: Post by jkerr (original poster) »

henri wrote:I'd reconsider this. I have a single boiler machine and while 99% of the drinks I make are pure espresso, the few times I need to steam milk followed by another shot make me wish I had a dual boiler instead. It is frustrating to have to wait for the boiler to go up and down to the right temperature.

How about the Profitec Pro 300? A dual boiler, but you don't need to switch on the steam boiler if you don't need it, so effectively it would act like a single boiler machine on weekdays. It also has PID and heats up quickly thanks to the ring group.
Among other things, it's simply too big for my counter.

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

I'd consider the Lelit Elizabeth and the Lelit Mara X if they fit your space and budget.

jkerr (original poster)

#10: Post by jkerr (original poster) »

GregoryJ wrote:Temp management on the Elektra MCaL will probably be frustrating for you. Have you considered adding a PID controller to your Gaggia classic?
Good to know!

Yes, I have thought about the PID controller for the Gaggia. But since I don't have a lot of time for tinkering these days, I'm not certain I want to go down that path.

I guess I should pose the question: will adding a PID controller allow me to make espresso at the same level as the ECM Classika, for example?