Espresso machine upgrade from Silvano, budget around $2000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TM15

#1: Post by TM15 »

Time to think about upgrading my original SIlvano. The SIlvano has treated us well but with retirement in sight I would like to upgrade. The wife and I have a couple of milk based drinks in the morning and in the afternoon. I need a machine that is simple to operate, and does a great job frothing. Something that will last another 10 years would be great...even if it takes a little cajoling (thanks Chris Coffee)...oh and it has to look nice so I can get it pass the boss :D It does not have to be plumbed, but it should easy to fill if is not (It will live under a cabinet).

I am simple, ease of use, great frothing, good looks and reliability. The budget is around 2K. My grinder is a Vario.

Thank you!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B

One set of models that come to mind are the La Spaziale dual-boilers. There are several variants that I've lost track of the differences between, but I'd have them on my list with what it sounds like you're looking for.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
michang5

#3: Post by michang5 »

I don't have any upgrade suggestions, but I hope that my one-month-old Silvano Evo gives me all the years of service that yours did. I'm glad that Chris' Coffee helped you along the way; I also bought mine from them.

Best of luck with your search.

luvmy40

#4: Post by luvmy40 »

Whether it would be considered an upgrade or not might spark another discussion, but the Breville Dual Boiler ticks all of your boxes and is well under $2K

Excellent steam. Unparalleled temperature control. Programable pre infusion. Some flow profiling out of the box and easily modified for great manual profiling. Front fill. Large reservoir. Large drip tray. Easy maintenance. Proven durability when maintained properly.

There is only one factor that might be a down side for you in that, while I like the look of the BDB, it doesn't have the classic Italian espresso machine style.

If you do go with the BDB, make sure to use scale free water and NEVER RUN THE DE-SCALE FUNCTION!!!!!

TM15 (original poster)

#5: Post by TM15 (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies. The La Spaziale line does seem to have quite a few different models in my price point. I will have to see what the differences are. A few hundred dollars is not a big deal if it's something I would rather have. Plus the wife likes the look of the wood panels. The Breville looks like a good low price alternative. And you are right, it does check all the boxes. Except for maybe impressing the wife with its looks, she's liking the wood panels. But I will keep it on the list if for anything else just comparison sake. Thanks again.

@michang5 My SIlvano has been a very good machine for a long time. CC walked me through any of the issues that did pop up. I think you are going to like it.

GregoryJ

#6: Post by GregoryJ »

TM15 wrote:The La Spaziale line does seem to have quite a few different models in my price point. I will have to see what the differences are.
Talk to Chris Coffee before ordering, because they can sometimes offer lower than the advertised price. Also, you can add a $50 circuit which automatically powers on the machine when it receives power (useful if you have it hooked up to a smart switch). Some of the differences are:

Mini Vivaldi: tank model, vibe pump, LEDs allow temperature setting in Celsius.
Dream T: Same as above with control screen. Allows scheduling, as well as setting temperature in Fahrenheit.

Vivaldi: plumbed model, rotary pump, LEDs allow temperature setting in Celsius.
Dream: Same as above with control screen. Allows scheduling, as well as setting temperature in Fahrenheit.

TM15 (original poster)

#7: Post by TM15 (original poster) »

GregoryJ wrote:Talk to Chris Coffee before ordering, because they can sometimes offer lower than the advertised price. Also, you can add a $50 circuit which automatically powers on the machine when it receives power (useful if you have it hooked up to a smart switch). Some of the differences are:

Thanks for the breakdown! After further consideration, I've decided I'm tired of filling up a water tank, so plumbed it is. A screen and time scheduling are not really that important to me, so it would appear that the Vivaldi II is the front runner. The wood panels are kind of pricey, but they look beautiful. I sent an email to CC. I'm in no particular rush at the moment... as the SIlvano keeps chugging along. I appreciate the information.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
TM15 (original poster)

#8: Post by TM15 (original poster) »

Thanks everybody a Vivaldi II is on the way!