Espresso machine to use with Monolith Flat Max?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
culturesub

#1: Post by culturesub »

Hey all- I'm a lucky recipient of a flat max on the way. I don't drink espresso generally, am will use it almost primarily for pour over. However, if I'll have such an amazing grinder it can't hurt to find an espresso machine to use with it!

Few things-

1) I bought a flair and never really used it, so something that manual doesn't work for me.

2) I drink extremely light roasted coffee.

3) I live in NYC so space is at a premium.

4) I love the idea of a de1 or something, but not sure I'll drink espresso more then a couple of times a week so the learning curve is an issue with me with any machine I buy.

Any suggestions?

RobindG

#2: Post by RobindG »

I suggest you sell the MAX to me and buy a Kinu hand grinder for your pour overs!

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

If you like to fine tune your coffees, as it seems, as well as very light roasts, you have no real choice except the DE1 or perhaps the Mina; since these are the only machines that allow extensive and repeatable fine tuning of shots. If you prefer to improvise, with a lot less hassle than the Flair, a semi commercial lever machine or a paddle E61 would be your best bets.
Jim Schulman

culturesub (original poster)

#4: Post by culturesub (original poster) »

RobindG wrote:I suggest you sell the MAX to me and buy a Kinu hand grinder for your pour overs!
Hilarious!

culturesub (original poster)

#5: Post by culturesub (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:If you like to fine tune your coffees, as it seems, as well as very light roasts, you have no real choice except the DE1 or perhaps the Mina; since these are the only machines that allow extensive and repeatable fine tuning of shots. If you prefer to improvise, with a lot less hassle than the Flair, a semi commercial lever machine or a paddle E61 would be your best bets.
Mina is more then what I would want to spend for my infrequent espresso use. Sounds like the DE1 is my best bet, price wise, and also I know Scott Rao says it makes an incredible automated pour over as well.

mike guy

#6: Post by mike guy »

If you prefer light roasts, I can't imagine there being a better choice than the DE1 right now. Light roasts generally benefit (but not always, sometimes the bloom is a negative) from a long bloom and the DE1 will give you that capability. You can of course replicate a bloom in other machines, slayers etc, including certain plumbed e61 machines that don't release the valve if you pause the line pressure (this is how I do it), but I don't think it will ever be as repeatable or as versatile as the de1.

If I was buying any machine right now, at any price point, I'd probably get a de1 pro and plumb it in. Heck, I'm almost close to trying to sell my perfectly fine syncronika for one :)

Denis

#7: Post by Denis »

With a lever you get better results faster and easier.

Flair and robot so better shots than any pump machine. I'd you don't do milk consider a strietman (compact, fast, clean, looks good).

Hard to get wow drinks on pump machines, even on De, and when I say wow I mean it. The machines that have smaller diameter groups have a higher change of even extraction with higher ey but compared to 58mm you have less complexity and more sweetness and mouthfeel.

27% shots on Flair doesn't taste the same as 27% ey on my heavy modified pump machine(similar to De). Just that is really hard to hit 27% Ey on pump machine I hit it way faster on levers. And I don't do bloom, I tried it on ~100 shots and I don't like it.