Espresso Machine to Pair With Mazzer Super Jolly

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
sfaticat

Postby sfaticat » Dec 05, 2018, 10:10 am

Hey all, from joining Home Barista I realized I dont know anything about espresso machines haha. I learned on an HX machine and have been pairing it with a Super Jolly. Works great but the machine isnt mine and will be needing a machine soon. I was thinking of getting a used Europiccola because I hear it yields great quality when dialed in correctly. However, once you go HX, you cant go back. I know eventually I will want a HX machine and honestly there are so many options. Basically I am asking all, which machine would go well with a Mazzer? For the most part I will be doing 1-2 drinks at once. I heard the Rocket Apartamento is a great option but I'd like to hear and learn more about why its great and what other machines are out there

Jake_G

Postby Jake_G » replying to sfaticat » Dec 05, 2018, 10:23 am

As a fellow Super Jolly and HX owner, I think you'll be happy with just about any of the HX machines out there from NS Oscar (used they can be had for $300-$400) to Lelit Mara, Profitec Pro 500, etc... the differences between the cheapeat HX and the most expensive will be built in conveniences (PID or Pstat, built in shot timer or not, ease of refilling the tank, plumbing option, etc...) along with build quality and internal design differences for ease of use, and self-maintenance. I don't think one machine offers a strategic advantage in the cup over any other machine when it comes to the current lineup of presumed HX machines...

All that said, what's your budget and what are your preferences for drinks? Are you looking for a good deal on a used machine or hunting for new with support from a reputable vendor? These questions influence the recommendations heavily. I love my modified flow profiling plumbed in 2 group rotary pump commercial HX machine, but if I were to hunt for a replacement I would have a very difficult time not purchasing a Breville Dual Boiler... It is a simply stunning machine and can be had for less than all but the cheapest HX machines.

Cheers!

- Jake

sfaticat

Postby sfaticat » replying to Jake_G » Dec 05, 2018, 12:10 pm

Probably at most around $1500. Is PID even necessary for a HX machine? From what I know it maintains temperature pretty well in the group with needing a short purge before pulling a shot. When in doubt, check the pressure bar

DeGaulle

Postby DeGaulle » Dec 05, 2018, 12:16 pm

once you go HX, you cant go back.

I don't know about that. Have you noticed that there is a secret society on this forum called Lever Machine World Domination Plot with registration numbers, a bit like Spectre ? :D It is lever owners who tend to stick to their guns.
Bert

DeGaulle

Postby DeGaulle » Dec 05, 2018, 12:54 pm

once you go HX, you cant go back.

I don't know about that. Have you noticed that there is a secret society on this forum called Lever Machine World Domination Plot with registration numbers, a bit like Spectre ? :D It is lever owners who tend to stick to their guns.
Bert

Jake_G

Postby Jake_G » Dec 05, 2018, 1:03 pm

sfaticat wrote:Probably at most around $1500. Is PID even necessary for a HX machine? From what I know it maintains temperature pretty well in the group with needing a short purge before pulling a shot. When in doubt, check the pressure bar

I agree with your assessment of PID on HX. It's not bad, but it's not super helpful, either. Getting the HX thermosyphon properly restricted to minimize your cooling flush for a given boiler pressure is handy. I have mine set to function more like a dual boiler with a quick purge before pulling the shot and a 1.4 bar boiler pressure and I really like the improved work flow. No PID needed... I still use a flush to manage temperature, I just don't have several (ok, many) seconds of hissing and gurgling of flash steam before I hit my target temp. My unregulated group is a fire breathing monster at 1.4 bar. I use it as a sanity check on occasion to ensure my regulated group is hot enough for my liking.

Do look at BDB for your price range. You could get one and some SSP burrs (I 100% recommend this) for your SJ and have money left over. It's a phenomenally designed machine with killer temperature stability. You could even pick one up and bed bath and beyond and return it a month later with no risk if you didn't like it. Folks have been reporting online deals of $800 shipped lately so it's a very good deal for a very very high performing machine.

Cheers!

- Jake

sfaticat

Postby sfaticat » replying to Jake_G » Dec 05, 2018, 1:48 pm

Wow $350 burrs lol is it really that much better?

Jake_G

Postby Jake_G » replying to sfaticat » Dec 05, 2018, 2:46 pm

You can get them for substantially less, but yes. Hunt for a group buy. It's way less money than getting a new grinder and their performance is superb. It more than doubled the useful range of espresso grind settings on my SJ and makes for much better flavor separation and distinction. I had never described a shot as "juicy" before getting these burrs. I haven't even attempted to align mine yet and I know I'll get even better results when I do.

Cheers!

- Jake

sfaticat

Postby sfaticat » replying to Jake_G » Dec 05, 2018, 3:36 pm

How do you even align them? Well I got new burrs last year so I'll get these in a few years when they are dull

jjk232

Postby jjk232 » Dec 05, 2018, 6:01 pm

sfaticat wrote:Wow $350 burrs lol is it really that much better?

It is. It pretty much turns your SJ into a Mahlkonig K30. So you'll have a grind quality of a 2500$ grinder for a fraction of the cost