Espresso machine recommendations under $250 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
konz4

#1: Post by konz4 »

Hey everyone,

A buddy of mine wants an entry level espresso machine for his wedding. He picked one that has been out of stock for a long time :( I wanted to get a short list of possible options that are just as nice. Any recommendations? He originally asked for the DeLonghi EC702, but I am worried that has been discontinued or won't be available for a long time. He has a nice conical grinder already (Breville Smart Grinder I think). Thanks for all your help!

ragdoll serenade

#2: Post by ragdoll serenade »

The Breville Duo Temp Pro is available from Amazon Warehouse for 307 right now.

Urupackers

#3: Post by Urupackers »

The Flair Pro2 is a good option in this price range to make very good espressos.

jtrops

#4: Post by jtrops »

What is the plan for a grinder?

Let's say he'll be doing pre-ground, in which case it will not be the best espresso, but with a pressurized basket can work. The new Flair Neo for $120 would do it, and give the option to upgrade baskets when a decent grinder comes into the picture. The Neo isn't out yet, but on the Kickstarter you can reserve one for $100 right now, and they are hoping to deliver in May. If that is too much of a risk, the Flair Classic is around $160.

If milk drinks are important then a milk steamer/frother will be another $100 (or less if you look for automatic frother you'll see them from $50 and up).

Unfortunately, the price range you are looking in doesn't have too many options for good espresso; and, the Flair may be the only option for exceptional espresso in this range.

If there is any budget left over an extra brew chamber would be a nice add-on for back to back shots.