Espresso machine or grinder upgrade

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
swjeon

#1: Post by swjeon »

Hi,

I recently purchased a rocket appartamento with eureka mignon grinder and quickly realized that this wasn't the setup I wanted.

With about $500-$600 more I can spend, I decided to look into replacing my current setup with lucca a53 mini and sette 270. While doing my research, I found a local coffee shop selling mahlkonig vario air for a $1000.

What would be my money better spent? Appartamento with mahlkonig vario air or change my entire setup to a53 mini with sette 270? Either direction I go, it will cost me about the same.

Thanks

James

caravel

#2: Post by caravel »

I don't think you need the "air" unless you are doing commercial amounts of grinding. So you can probably save money going without the air.

Nick Name

#3: Post by Nick Name »

Changing your grinder to a "titan class" grinder will make a significant improvement to your shots. Changing your espresso machine - not so much, if any.
Eureka Mignon is not really what you could call a great grinder. I think it's more of an entry-level equipment.

Mahlkönig K30, Compak K10, Ceado E37S, for example, are often mentioned as excellent grinders.
If you want to try what kind of an improvement you will get for a little cheaper, you could also consider Pharos (if you're not totally against hand grinding). That would cost you only a fraction of the afore mentioned electrical grinders and it would raise you a into a different league.

lawn_wrangler

#4: Post by lawn_wrangler »

swjeon wrote:...quickly realized that this wasn't the setup I wanted.
Can you provide more detail what you don't like about this equipment?
Nick Name wrote:Changing your grinder to a "titan class" grinder will make a significant improvement to your shots ... Mahlkönig K30, Compak K10, Ceado E37S, for example, are often mentioned as excellent grinders.
I think OP has a good opportunity for a used K30:
swjeon wrote:While doing my research, I found a local coffee shop selling mahlkonig vario air for a $1000.
In any case, $1,000 for a K30 Vario Air could be a very good deal (depending, of course, on its condition) and probably would improve your shot quality a lot. I don't see them come up for sale very often. Yes, it's a commercial grinder as caravel points out, but this forum has a lot of happy K30 home users.

swjeon (original poster)

#5: Post by swjeon (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies.

I initially thought that smaller package would be good for an espresso machine, but I realized that isn't the case. Position of the steam arm, water spout, level switch, and smaller tray are too cramped. A53 is tight, but believe that it's better positioned. Appartamento is not plumbable and it didn't take long for it to annoy me.

Mignon grinder is very clumpy and comes out warm even for double shot dose. I have also ran into mechanical issues of burrs not engaging when button is pressed.

The mahlkonig vario air is an year old with 75000 shots ground, it had its original burrs replaced 6 months ago. Went to the shop to look at it in action and it seemed to be performing great.

I'm leaning towards upgrading the grinder and keeping the appartamento.

lawn_wrangler

#6: Post by lawn_wrangler »

swjeon wrote:I'm leaning towards upgrading the grinder and keeping the appartamento.
Sounds like a good choice. You can probably live with the Appartamento for a little while longer, and the K30 should be a big jump in quality.

Kipp

#7: Post by Kipp »

Grinder! Grinder! Grinder!!!

Nick Name

#8: Post by Nick Name replying to Kipp »

That's the short answer! :lol:
    Yet so true.

nuketopia

#9: Post by nuketopia »

I'd get the K30 Air. It might need new burrs - so check the life on them and the cost of original Mahlkonig replacement burrs. That's a great deal if the burrs are in top shape. Less of a deal if it is in need of new burrs. I think there's a burr life timer on the K30 that might shed some light on how many kilos of beans have been through it.

I have a Ceado e37s. It is capable of good grinding, but it has enough other quirks that I don't recommend it. The k30 family are excellent.

TxHr

#10: Post by TxHr »

Another vote for the K30. I went from a Mazzer Mini to the air, my shot quality improved and my dosing is extremely efficient now.