Espresso machine on/off timer

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jgood

#1: Post by jgood »

I have a QM Carola espresso only machine (850 watts) -- is there any reason I can't use a cheap timer like the one in the picture below (rated 15A - 3 prong with ground) to turn it on before I get up? I would use a similar timer for the Carola steamer as it has a separate cord.

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I don't see why not if the circuit and breaker can handle 15amp.

Shorter answer is YES.

However would be best if the outlet was GFCI protected as well.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

jgood (original poster)

#3: Post by jgood (original poster) »

Forgive my ignorance! The outlet in the wall is GFCI protected -- should I be looking for a timer with ground fault as well or does the ground fault in the wall cover things? And is there some advantage to a more elaborate timer? I basically get up at a similar time each day and figure if for some reason I am planning on being away I can just switch off the machine before I go.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I'll suggest a timer that has electrical certification for North America: UL, CSA, etc. (Not CE, which is meaningless) Unfortunately, there is plenty of stuff online that isn't properly certified.

Wall outlet GFCI is fine, just test that the GFCI works regularly.

I personally prefer a smart outlet over a basic timer, but if you don't need the flexibility or precision then there's no need.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

jgood wrote:Forgive my ignorance! The outlet in the wall is GFCI protected -- should I be looking for a timer with ground fault as well or does the ground fault in the wall cover things? And is there some advantage to a more elaborate timer? I basically get up at a similar time each day and figure if for some reason I am planning on being away I can just switch off the machine before I go.
Your wall based GFCI covers it. Any timer will do as long as you don't exceed its total current or wattage limit, as well as the circuit it is plugged into.

Your question is fine - no apology necessary.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

jgood (original poster)

#6: Post by jgood (original poster) »

Thanks!!!